Fossil Prosecution In Montana

Traviscounty

There has been a recurring and sometimes lively discussion about this case on a couple other threads.

One or two members voiced opinions based on first-hand acquaintance.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• 1 month later...

In the reported statement, he is still portraying himself as a victim, this time as 'the one who got caught'.

This 'it's not wrong if other people do it' mentality is one of my pet peeves. :angry:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

In the reported statement, he is still portraying himself as a victim, this time as 'the one who got caught'.

This 'it's not wrong if other people do it' mentality is one of my pet peeves. :angry:

I agree his attitude is going to only cause more negative attention which will end up harming amateurs.

On a related note, I just started reading "The Dinosaur Dealers; MISSION: To uncover international fossil smuggling", by John Long. I'm just 10 pages into it, and so far I like the readability. I'll report back when I'm done.

whow maby I should but that mammoth tusk back :unsure: just kidding !but really this goes to show that even collecting fossils can become illegal if you don't follow the rules

On a related note, I just started reading "The Dinosaur Dealers; MISSION: To uncover international fossil smuggling", by John Long. I'm just 10 pages into it, and so far I like the readability. I'll report back when I'm done.

Please do. I may check it out.

I'm about 1/4 the way into it, and it is making me aware of a lot of factors I hadn't thought about.

Get it and read it! Mine came from an Amazon seller; a used paperback for 77 cents, plus $3 or so shipping.

It's written by the Australian paleontoligist that was involved in investigating the famous theft of some dinosaur tracks there in 1996. It is NOT anti private collecting, but it does shed light on the factors that contribute to the unease between governments, institutions, and amateurs. Though not a page-turner, it reads well and the topic is of great interest.

I just finished reading Tyrannosaurus Sue, a great book about the dinosaur and also the consequences that can happen without good due-diligence.

I'm about 1/4 the way into it, and it is making me aware of a lot of factors I hadn't thought about.

Get it and read it! Mine came from an Amazon seller; a used paperback for 77 cents, plus $3 or so shipping.

It's written by the Australian paleontoligist that was involved in investigating the famous theft of some dinosaur tracks there in 1996. It is NOT anti private collecting, but it does shed light on the factors that contribute to the unease between governments, institutions, and amateurs. Though not a page-turner, it reads well and the topic is of great interest.

I read that when it was first published. The funny thing is I was introduced to John Long by David Ward at the Tucson show he is talking about. I had read "The Rise of Fishes" by then and had a chance to ask him a couple of questions.

"The Dinosaur Dealers" was way too paranoid. The part where he ran from German girls he thought were following him was ridiculous (I'd like to be followed by German girls). I don't want to ruin the ending for you so don't read any further if you still have pages to go...he doesn't find the tracks. The likelihood is that they never left Australia - never traveled more than ten miles outside that town because no one else has ever heard of the site other than the locals.

I know some paleontologists would like to think millionaires abound among fossil dealers but a friend once made a keen observation. He looked at the dealer parking lots and didn't see Mercedes or BMW's. He saw old vans and trucks with some dealers eating self-made sandwiches for lunch.

"The Dinosaur Dealers" was way too paranoid. The part where he ran from German girls he thought were following him was ridiculous (I'd like to be followed by German girls).

I took that as a self-disparaging passage, in line with others that painted him as a "nerd" caught up in a level of intrigue that was way outside of his experience as a paleontologist.

I don't want to ruin the ending for you so don't read any further if you still have pages to go...he doesn't find the tracks. The likelihood is that they never left Australia - never traveled more than ten miles outside that town because no one else has ever heard of the site other than the locals.

No spoiler here; I half expected the anti-climax. :)