fossil?

supertramp

Hello everyone,

on a Italian naturalistic forum I take part in, we've been wondering what the “object” in the attached images could be.

The object measures cm 4,5 in length

Unfortunately, no stratigraphic information is available, because the boulder was part of a small enclosing wall. However, according to a geological map, the bedrock belongs to the Jurassic/lower Cretaceous terrains of the Gargano peninsula (Southern Italy).

Some say it could be fossil, but in my opinion it resembles a calcitic concretion.

Thanks for your help!

post-20300-0-36145000-1450694175_thumb.jpgpost-20300-0-73503900-1450694133_thumb.jpgpost-20300-0-11166000-1450694079_thumb.jpg

I think it is geologic, possibly a cone-in-cone structure.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Also, my thought is related to cone in cone structure, which resembles a belemnite rostrum or a horn coral. I think is geologic not a fossil. http://serc.carleton.edu/NAGTWorkshops/sedimentary/images/cone.html

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

It could be geologic, but I would investigate the potential for rudist bearing rocks in the area, too.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Thanks for the replies!

…trying to give some more descriptive information: it does not have a cone-shape form; it rather seems to be a plane section of an ellipsoidal structure, made up of microcrystalline carbonate.

cross section through a cone shaped stromatoporoid

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

In picture 2, in the left side, I see two specimens, each with an elliptical (or circular) concentric layered structure in a supposed transverse section, each with a hole in the middle, suggesting that the specimens would be cylindrical or conical in shape if the layered longitudinal section at right belongs to one of the specimens.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

• 1 year later...

Yep, that it is. Herb was close in the ID. :)

" Ellipsactinia and Sphaeractinia are two groups of organisms which represent very important stratigraphic markers, especially for the Jurassic and the Cretaceous, becoming the principal constituents of carbonate platform margins of these periods. Furthermore, because they lived exclusively in the Mesozoic Tethys sea, we consider them as good palaeogeographic and palaeoclimatic fossils. They were very abundant in Late Jurassic and Valanginian in the Adriatic and Apulian carbonate platforms. The architecture and microstructure of these two groups are completely different. Ellipsactinia has a simpler architecture than Sphaeractinia, which exhibits an organization of lamellae and radial channels termed “dry-stone wall”, and the presence of astrorhizae-like structures. Also the microstructure is different. In Ellipsactinia there is a “water jet” (clinogonal) pattern of fibers, whereas in Sphaeractinia the fiber arrangement is spherulitic. In both the genera, rare, isolated and scattered, monaxon spicules are present.
The skeletal organization and the types of microstructures allow us to ascribe these two genera to Demospongiae. "

post-20300-0-73503900-1450694133.jpg.b2d98ea39bad6c02ebd1ec5732bc6c42.jpg5992c2f7bc066_18RUSSO.thumb.jpg.e551c07b968f07fbf5317ebcb4cf3bb7.jpg

Thomas Mann

My Library