Tiny tooth from Rattlesnake Creek micro-matrix

digit

Came across this tiny tooth while sorting micro-matrix from Rattlesnake Creek (Gainesville, FL). I suspect it is not fossilized as the fossils in this micro-matrix are almost exclusively marine in nature. The color and delicate nature of this remarkably well preserved molar lead me to believe that it is something much more recent. It looks quite different from the rodent molars (Cotton Rat and Vole) that I have found before in this and other types of micro-matrix. As you can see it is quite decidedly dual-rooted and the occlusal surfaces are rather angled and scooped. It measures 4.5 mm from chewing surface to the tip of the root and 2 mm across the maximum width.

Anybody have a clue on the possible identity of this mystery tooth? I'm wondering if it might possibly be a bat tooth? I know there is a large population of bats on the University of Florida campus (I've visited the "bat house" to see them emerge in the evening--quite the show).

Thanks for having a look (and for any information).

Cheers.

-Ken

post-7713-0-76954900-1450805573_thumb.jpg

I think you may be right. I'm basing my guess of an ID upon the bat tooth I (enviously) saw on your earlier post. Maybe I've joined that very select "bat club" with this find.

Somehow when I was doing a google image search for "bat teeth" I had an uncontrollable voice in my head singing: "Na na na na -- na na na na -- Bat Tooth!" I guess I'm just a child of the 60's who enjoyed campy TV when I was young (as there weren't many choices).

post-7713-0-62110400-1450827998_thumb.png

Cheers.

-Ken

P.S.: Love the new frog phalanx signature, Julianna.

It looks a lot like the bat tooth I also found in Rattlesnake creek. In fact, my tooth came from the same area that your matrix was collected from. Good find even if it isn't a fossil!