Unidentified Sinemurian fossil from Nevada

old digger

post-16632-0-77685600-1450931035_thumb.jpgpost-16632-0-27887100-1450931099_thumb.jpg

Hi All,

This object was found in the Sunrise Formation of Nevada in direct association with definite Sinemurian ammonites. It resembles an orthoconic nautiloid, but these became extinct at the end of the Triassic. It is possibly a belemnite, but the completely circular cross section is unlike most belemnites I have seen. It appears to have widely spaced septa but there is no evidence of a siphuncle in section. The object is about 60mm long.

Any suggestions?

Hi,

It is more probably a phragmocon of Atractites sp. They range from Triassic into the lower Jurassic. The Sipho should be at the side not in the center.

This genus is common in the Sinemurian of Austria too. If you want I can take pics from mine.

regards

Andreas

Thanks to everyone for the replies. It does in fact closely resemble pictures of Actractites. Paleontology Database shows numerous occurrences of this genus in the Triassic of Nevada, but none in the Jurassic. It is reported from the early Jurassic of British Columbia. So, this could be the first report of the genus from the Jurassic of Nevada.

Thanks again for your help.

Archived