Toby's new additions over Christmas

reddesilets

Roger and I got a replica Allosaurus claw necklace for Toby as we figured it may last longer than a fossil as a necklace - he's a pretty rough and tumble type of kid as y'all may have figured by now. ;) We didn't anticipate that it would have included a small, split and polished ammonite! That was such a pleasant surprise! But before Christmas day, Toby found a larger polished ammonite he wanted to get with some Christmas money he got from my mom and stepdad. We thought that was pretty cool that out of all the fossils he could have purchased, he selected an ammonite, and there was one waiting for him in an unwrapped present! Heck, it's really cool that he wanted to spend his money on a fossil - period! :D So come Christmas morning, he was very excited to see the necklace and the split ammonite as well. He also made out with Jurassic World toys that he plays with almost nonstop as well as more cards and books for his growing Pokemon and Minecraft collections, and a few other things. The pictures below are some snapshots of Toby's new fossils and the replica necklace. (Sorry for the poor quality)

Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and will have a blessed New Year!

post-18444-0-54052200-1451250049_thumb.jpg

post-18444-0-95523000-1451250049_thumb.jpg

post-18444-0-61885000-1451250050_thumb.jpg

post-18444-0-17582500-1451250051_thumb.jpg

Edited by reddesilets

"Direct observation of the testimony of the earth ... is a matter of the laboratory, of the field naturalist, of indefatigable digging among the ancient archives of the earth's history."

— Henry Fairfield Osborn

A very nice Christmas.

A small hint for an upcoming birthday. Small packs of Mammoth hair are under $30. He might think that is really cool. E-bay has them.

You are very fortunate to have a son that shares your interest. Neither of my kids had any interest in anything but hockey growing up. So for about 20 years there was no fossil hunting for me just lots of hockey arenas..,.,.,.,.,

Finally this year my daughter stole a bunch of trilobites to take in to show her kindergarten class (she is a kindergarten teacher now)

A very nice Christmas.

A small hint for an upcoming birthday. Small packs of Mammoth hair are under $30. He might think that is really cool. E-bay has them.

I wouldn't buy mammoth hair. From what I've heard, most if not all material you see advertised as mammoth hair is actually yak hair. For something safer, I'd get him some small shark teeth, a meg fragment or pieces of dino eggshell.

Oh we do have plenty of shark teeth and, as soon as I'm recovered well enough from surgery, we'll be hunting for more. We have acquired a couple decent megs from other collectors along the way too. <3 The ever popular raptor claws and spinosaurus teeth are what I thought he'd consider getting out of the fossils he was looking at so I was surprised when he flipped with excitement over the ammonite. Glad to see him expanding beyond what is popular in his mind. :)

"Direct observation of the testimony of the earth ... is a matter of the laboratory, of the field naturalist, of indefatigable digging among the ancient archives of the earth's history."

— Henry Fairfield Osborn