Cut the stone

Victoria M

I'm new too fossil collecting, so I could use some advice on how to best cut the fossil out of this rock.

What tools should I use? and how would I use them? I am just not sure of where to begin.

post-20354-0-52190200-1451565290_thumb.jpg :)

Depends on what you mean by cut it out of the rock. Do you mean cut it down to display size? Remove it completely from the rock? Prep it out but leave in the rock? Size? And depends on what kind of rock.

Based on the answers, choices could be airscribe, hack saw with carbide blade, tile saw, angle grinder with masonry blade, hammer and chisel.

Edited by Fossil Claw
  • I found this Informative 1

I think that one has become "one with the rock", and any attempts at removal will result poorly.

• I found this Informative 3

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Depends on what you mean by cut it out of the rock. Do you mean cut it down to display size? Remove it completely from the rock? Prep it out but leave in the rock? Size? And depends on what kind of rock.

Based on the answers, choices could be airscribe, hack saw with carbide blade, tile saw, angle grinder with masonry blade, hammer and chisel.

I meant down to display size, all I currently have is a hammer and chisel.

Do you have any tips on angels, and how to avoid breaking the fossil while trying to break it down to display size?

Edited by Victoria M

On a different fossil i have I am using vinegar, on the same kind of rock, and it works quite well, could that be an idea to use vinegar on some parts of the rock to soften it, so it gets easier to break it down to smaller pieces?

I meant down to display size, all I currently have is a hammer and chisel...

Ah. Trimming the matrix is done best with a tile saw, but a hack saw (with extra blades to wear out) might do in a pinch.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I have had success with "The Incredible Blade" Carbide Cutting Rods using a hack saw on a number of different stone types. Depending on how hard your store is, it could cut well. Cut slow or not cut at all.

As Auspex indicated you may need to use a tile saw.

When removing rock with just a hammer and chisel, I find that it is easier to go with the grain of the rock. Its just like if you were cutting wood with a saw, it is easier to cut parallel to the lines of the wood rather than perpendicular to them. I don't know how helpful this would be in this case, but generally I find this useful to remember.

• I found this Informative 1

• 6 months later...

With this piece remember the whole piece is fossilised coral, so its all limestone so will be quite hard.

Can you just use it as the backdrop and place your other specimens on and around it.

Mike D

As a suggestion that will make many cringe, Try a Vise to crush the rock that is to be removed. There appears to be weak seams that should split the matrix along these points. As one approaches closer to the subject, just take small "nibbles" at a time. Yes this technique has the possibility for disaster if the rock cracks in an unanticipated direction. My experience shows this is uncommon. The reason I like to use the vise to work matrix away is that it leaves such a natural edge to the matrix, not an artificial cut. It in my opinion is much more pleasing to the eye. If disaster occurs, super glue to the rescue!!!! There is also a weak spot between the fossil and the matrix. With practice one can pop many fossils right out of the matrix with a vise. When they pop out, they are in mint condition, much nicer than when I etch away the matrix with my cheap equipment. DON'T DO THIS WITH A RARE OR VALUABLE FOSSIL, use it only on specimens that can be replaced. Good luck!

Mike

If you don't have access to a tile saw, you can use an angle grinder to cut it down if you can clamp it to a table or in a vise. Make sure you do this outside and while wearing a quality dust mask as it will produce a lot of dust. If you have a diamond blade, you can wet the rock as you cut to keep the dust down. Also, don't forget the safety goggles.

This post is 7 1/2 months old, so she probably already cut it. But all hints will be helpful for future projects.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

This post is 7 1/2 months old, so she probably already cut it. But all hints will be helpful for future projects.

Not if she's like me!!! :P I looked up procrastination on Google and it auto-directed me to my own web page. ;) ;)