Mosasaur jaw?

lolman1c

Just checking this is a real Mosasaur jaw. It didn't say but I also believe this to be a composite? (is that true?) I'm okay with that as I bought it knowing that a composite isn't the natural jaw but it's cheap and a lovely display piece so I think my main concern is if the teeth are real.

d36355dd2f15b6203734279b2f955744.png

e93a61d86afe31612a59200440f0ea95.pngc1f833309965e09cf9aa5ad093eeb6d0.png

Also just a small question... I know a composite has the real teeth and I know that a composite isn't a natural jaw but there are many different descriptions on what a composite is (crush bone, minerals of where the jaw was, crushed fossils or just normal stone carved into a jaw....) so I was wondering if someone could tell me how they make these?

In my opinion the only thing that is real with this jaw are the crowns of the teeth. The roots are fake and the jaw bones typically made from bone looks like plaster.

Edit:

Forgot to address your composite question. For me a composite is an assemblage of real bones and teeth from different animals of the same species to produce a finished product. Your specimen is not a composite but a complete fabrication to produce something that looks like a jaw using real teeth

When you say the crown do you mean the darker colour areas?

3e4ffc415ac2171a6311292c384d454f.png

Yes the crowns are the teeth less roots. See my edit in my first post.

Yes the crowns are the teeth less roots. See my edit in my first post.

Hmmm, Thanks for the information. I have contacted the seller about this as he accepts returns and hasn't sent the item yet. Would you know any sellers selling composites you would be happy with buying?

Hmmm, Thanks for the information. I have contacted the seller about this as he accepts returns and hasn't sent the item yet. Would you know any sellers selling composites you would be happy with buying?

Yes, Dino Deals UK, Damien is a very honest seller who I bought my genuine (minus the roots) globidens jaw from.

He has a store on eBay and a web store and also stocks natural jaws (now out of stock because I bought it) and other genuine fossils, he details everything about each fossil, and whether its composite, genuine or enhanced.

Yes, Dino Deals UK, Damien is a very honest seller who I bought my genuine (minus the roots) globidens jaw.

He has a store on eBay and a web store.

Thanks,

I bought this from a seller who had good ratings and I know has sold many genuine fossils before. Like it said in an article I saw, maybe they genuinely don't know what they are selling...

Thanks,

I bought this from a seller who had good ratings and I know has sold many genuine fossils before. Like it said in an article I saw, maybe they genuinely don't know what they are selling...

This one certainly does, if you do send him a message over eBay, tell him that the guy who bought the jaw sent you.

Before I make another stupid mistake does someone want to okay this before I buy it. XD

Looks just like the one you have, all fake but the crowns.

Looks just like the one you have, all fake but the crowns.

But it is made of bone rather than Plaster... I would rather that.

Before I make another stupid mistake does someone want to okay this before I buy it. XD

At a cursory glance the positioning of the fossil on the plate screams "arranged." It just doesn't look like a natural piece. It looks like thousands of others that are offered for sale.

Given that it is not unattractive, nor is the original one you posted; it would to my mind not be a bad thing to own and display - as long as the price was no more than for a handful of nice crowns and the owner was aware of the nature of the item. Good luck and have fun. Please don't be disheartened. It's just that the type of fossil that's caught your attention is a cottage industry in its native country.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

At a cursory glance the positioning of the fossil on the plate screams "arranged." It just doesn't look like a natural piece. It looks like thousands of others that are offered for sale.

Given that it is not unattractive, nor is the original one you posted; it would to my mind not be a bad thing to own and display - as long as the price was no more than for a handful of nice crowns and the owner was aware of the nature of the item. Good luck and have fun. Please don't be disheartened. It's just that the type of fossil that's caught your attention is a cottage industry in its native country.

Haha, Thanks. I think I come across in my posts as upset... I am not upset and knew that the only things real were the teeth when I was buying it. I just don't like the idea that the sellers are lying in their description (or at least unaware of what they are selling). It is supposed to be made of bone and not plaster (as a bone composite will be less likely to break and in my mind would look better). I only paid £20 for this piece as it was the teeth I was looking for but again, if they are saying it is bone but it is plaster than that isn't good.

Most mosasaur jaws you see for sale from Morocco are composites. Almost all the ones you will see will be fake. As Troodon already mentioned, they use a real crown but use plaster, sand, and and ground up bones to create the roots, jaw, and matrix on these fossils. I think you'd be better off trying to find a different fossil that is 100% authentic.

...but use plaster, sand, and and ground up bones to create the roots, jaw, and matrix on these fossils...

They also use real bone, but non-fossil.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

They also use real bone, but non-fossil.

Haven't heard of that before. How do they make the bone look aged?

They 'distress' it, and stain it. One that I checked for a friend smelled of burning hair when probed with a red-hot nail.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I don't mind it... I think I misunderstood what you were all saying. I thought you meant the entire thing but the teeth was made from plaster of Paris. XD Which would mean it would probably fall apart... as a cheap £20 display peace with six real teeth I am happy with it. (which i what I thought it would be). I would buy a natural one but I dislike spending over £50 on anything for my collection.

I don't mind it... I think I misunderstood what you were all saying. I thought you meant the entire thing but the teeth was made from plaster of Paris. XD Which would mean it would probably fall apart... as a cheap £20 display peace with six real teeth I am happy with it. (which i what I thought it would be). I would buy a natural one but I dislike spending over £50 on anything for my collection.

I've got a surprise then.

Here is what looks to be a genuine 9cm section of platecarpus jawbone with one restored tooth

It's slightly over £50, but definitely cheaper than most!

post-20356-0-18634200-1451835320_thumb.png

Here is what looks to be a genuine 9cm section of platecarpus jawbone with one restored tooth

Thank you but I have run out of spare money now. XD Only had £30 left I was comfortable with spending (as bills and rent is coming up soon as well as food to keep me alive :P ) so I spent £20 on the display piece... Again I bought it with the knowledge that only the teeth were original but people saying it was fake kinda freaked me out for a second...

Thank you but I have run out of spare money now. XD Only had £30 left I was comfortable with spending (as bills and rent is coming up soon as well as food to keep me alive :P ) so I spent £20 on the display piece... Again I bought it with the knowledge that only the teeth were original but people saying it was fake kinda freaked me out for a second...

Yes that is the worry with jaws, I posted my globidens jaw here with the knowledge that it was real minus the roots.

Two people said it was fake, which worried me, but then it turned out that it was real since the jaw fits together.

That's what I'm seeing of course, I have to wait till Tuesday to verify.

The link was removed from your post. If you wish to illustrate a point with a photo, please post the photo. Links to items on dealer sites are very temporary and render any discussion about the item meaningless in the future. Thank you. ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Archived