Just getting started!

Bguild

Hi everyone. I have been a long time collector of fossils, but I have yet to get out into the field to find my own. That's going to change! I love fossils and the outdoors, so recently it dawned on me that I could combine my two hobbies and begin to fossil hunt on my own. I live in new England and have been doing plenty of research on the limited fossil localities in the area and the techniques used for fossil hunting. Once spring comes around I plan to start looking for the local fern, insect and trace fossils. Once I get more experienced I could easily see the future holding some bigger trips to more fossil rich areas... but lets start slow here.

Step 1 would be getting the necessary gear to split shale and various rock. After doing some quick research I have compiled the below list of tools that I would like to acquire to begin my fossil hunting. I can get the big sledge hammers and more serious tools further down the road. My question is will the below tools be enough to get me started? Anything to add/remove/change on this list? I have things like safety glasses, gloves, trowels, rakes... etc. Thanks!

• 22 oz. Supreme Rock Pick Hammer by Estwing E3-22P (I wasn't sure on the chisel head or the pointed head, any suggsetions?)
  • 3 lb. Crack Hammer by Estwing B3-3LB
  • Estwing ERC-8C Rock Chisel
  • Estwing ERC-12C Rock Chisel
  • Estwing ERC-7C Rock Chisel
  • I found this Informative 1

Hello there. :)

Looks like you have most of the necessities covered. :)

I would definitely add work gloves,... Safety goggles/glasses, and a prybar. Something like THIS.

I would say you don't need to spend tons of money on Estwing chisels - a good set of size ranged cold chisels will work just as well.

I would spend extra on the hammers. Estwings will last forever, provided you don't loose them.

I started out 20 years ago with the chisel edge hammer from Estwing. Loved it.

I only recently got a 14oz pick end hammer - I like them both, but for daily use I end up using the 14 oz. model, more often than not these days.

The 22 oz pick end might be a good medium between the 2.

Add a backpack, 5 gallon bucket, or rucksack of some sort for hauling your finds back to your car.

Wear sturdy shoes, (I prefer steel toed) and if you are near a large/tall rock face, a hard hat is a good investment.

This is a good starter kit.

As time goes by, and you get more used to your sites, and gain more experience, ... you might bring other things as needed, like a small rake for the fall, to clear leaves.

A small whisk broom is good for clearing debris from rock shelves. Or not.

Dynamite. wait, whut? KIDDING! Just seeing if you are still paying attention. :P

Your kit should consist of things you might need, but when you start to get the feel for it, you can leave some things at the car, and just take what you KNOW you will need.

It takes time to figure out what to use at each site, what to bring and what not to bring.

Good luck!

Regards,

EDIT : OH ... don't forget the First Aid Kit! I cut myself on shale ALL THE TIME!

Good to have that thing handy if needed. Make sure it has antiseptic, a range of band aids, and butterfly closures.

Now,... where did I put my Det. Cord.... :head scratch:

Edited by Fossildude19
  • I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I use both types of hammers as each has their own function. As far as shale is concerned, geo-tools.Com has a nice selection of chisels at a reasonable price. You won't find these at your local hardware store. I use these in St Paul, Indiana and the Penn Dixie site in NY and they're simply amazing.

Best regards,

Paul

• I found this Informative 2

...I'm back.

Your shopping list is top-drawer, essential stuff; add a pry bar for those big slab jobs.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I'll chime in with the guys above and add that there's also a very good Estwing hammer with an extra long handle which I use a lot which has a lot of power when you swing it and also takes a lot of the brunt, saving your elbow and wrist muscles a lot of strain. The one with the pointed head is good at opening up cracks along the weak points of the stone.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Also don't overlook the American and goodwill stores for good buys on items.

You can find big savings on Hard hats at times. Shoulder bags and sturdy backpacks, Heavy geens that can get beat up and no big loss, get them in squat and bend over size, not night out tight.

Harbor frt is a great source for many items at very good prices. Dental picks, scribes, magnifying glasses, I like the head visor ones, use them all of the time. pry bars and a lot of misc.

That's my Two cents worth.

Thanks for the advice guys. Really appreciate it. So I'll add a pry bar to the list for sure. And maybe go for some cheaper chisels. I've noticed the cheaper chisels on geo-tools.com. Is there a BIG difference between more expensive estwing chisels and other chisels from say geo-tools or a local hardware store?

I would spend extra on the hammers. Estwings will last forever, provided you don't loose them.

I (my kids) have lost 3 Estwing hammers over their 10 year career of breaking rocks with me. Most were lost in the first few years. Then, the boys learned that Dad doesn't blow up nearly as often when he doesn't have to walk 300 yards back to look for the hammer you left laying behind.

Then, I found a hammer someone else lost so I'm net -2 on the hammers!

I (my kids) have lost 3 Estwing hammers over their 10 year career of breaking rocks with me. Most were lost in the first few years. Then, the boys learned that Dad doesn't blow up nearly as often when he doesn't have to walk 300 yards back to look for the hammer you left laying behind.

Then, I found a hammer someone else lost so I'm net -2 on the hammers!

I've only lost one, ... and it was one I had found, ... so,... it didn't pain me as much as if I had paid for it. :(:blush::mellow: Oh well. ;)

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Hammers come and hammers go. I left one behind last year with a fossil bag, (tired and brain was cooked), Oh well. This year found a 14 oz Eastwing. It had been there a while with the rust on it. When I got back to some of our club members at the cars, an older member ( I am 64 :faint: ) made some comment about a hammer and I let him have the one I just found. Some steel wool and oil and it will be good as new.

One tool I have for splitting shale is the 2 inch wide blade from an old wood plane. They are thin, strong and very (VERY) sharp. You will not be able to use it for wood again. Please be careful using it they are scalpel sharp.

Hi Not to miss the obvious but, add some sun screen to your kit and a pen and paper, very basic things I know but often overlooked.

I have also used wood chisels to split shale and slate I have an old 2 inch one that I got second hand for £1

Regards

Mike

Edited by Mike Pocock

One tool I have for splitting shale is the 2 inch wide blade from an old wood plane. They are thin, strong and very (VERY) sharp. You will not be able to use it for wood again. Please be careful using it they are scalpel sharp.

Someone the other day mentioned using a wood chisel for splitting thin shales as well. MAJOR CAUTION! Those are fine on soft stone but if you use them on hard rock you risk having them shatter. You can send a small chip of steel fast enough to puncture the skin. And the need for goggles is obvious.

New chisels are so tempting...but you can find all the cold chisels you need at yard sales. Or, I bet, grandpa has a few on the workbench he never uses anymore..

Thanks for the tips everyone. Per your input and some research, I've ordered the below tools to get me going. I already have the basics like protective glasses, gloves... etc. Now if only winter would hurry up and end :)

Estwing 22oz big face bricklayer hammer (E6-22BLC)

Estwing 3lb crack hammer (B3-3LB)

Dasco 1 in. x 12 in. Cold Chisel (with handguard)

Dasco 1-3/4 in.x 7-1/2 in. Cold Chisel

Dasco 2-1/4 in. x 7 in. Cold Chisel (with handguard)

30 in. T-Type Pry Bar
Edited by Bguild
  • I found this Informative 3

Thanks for the tips everyone. Per your input and some research, I've ordered the below tools to get me going. I already have the basics like protective glasses, gloves... etc. Now if only winter would hurry up and end :)

Estwing 22oz big face bricklayer hammer (E6-22BLC)

Estwing 3lb crack hammer (B3-3LB)

Dasco 1 in. x 12 in. Cold Chisel (with handguard)

Dasco 1-3/4 in.x 7-1/2 in. Cold Chisel

Dasco 2-1/4 in. x 7 in. Cold Chisel (with handguard)

30 in. T-Type Pry Bar

You're all set to be The Dig-inator, come the thaw :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!