My Best Fossil Site

Mike Owens

See all those tall, rectangular things on the distant horizon? For any natural area, that's what I call "trouble brewing".

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

just be careful there. trinity just west of downtown is in a bad area. i've heard of robbers getting robbed there while they're doing a robbery. don't know about everywhere else. and then there's the water quality to worry about. i've heard the germs have germs there.

<signed>

"sunshine" tracer

I went to the bridge there and a little downstream. All I saw was trash, mud and Mexicans fishing. Is it true it's illegal to drive over the levee? I was prolly not downstream enough anyways. It looks like that spot is on the north side of the Trinity where it turns a little south which maybe the next bridge east.

Looks like south Dallas/Oakcliff.

You can find bones there. They are usually human though. All the crooks drop their bodies there.

Want catch me south of Industrial blvd.

I used to read meters for Lone star gas company in the 70's.

Got stabbed and chased a few times.

v = 0.25 * g0.5 * SL1.67 * h-1.17

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

Mike, I'm really enjoying your reminiscenses; they're adding depth to my day. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I took one look at the picture and thought Trinity River in Dallas, and THEN realized you already had that in the caption... doh!

I think 35 years of urban sedimentation have done some damage though. Maybe a big gully washer followed by the summer dry spell would help things out, but I wouldn't count on it... Also, to back up some of the other comments you may want to go there again with a larger group of some of the forum guys! Hammers and machetes prominently visible of course!

Let us know what you find Mike. I'll be up the second week in May and will be looking for some rock hounding to do after work. Let me know if you want some company on your treks.

O

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

Looks like south Dallas/Oakcliff.

You can find bones there. They are usually human though. All the crooks drop their bodies there.

Want catch me south of Industrial blvd.

I used to read meters for Lone star gas company in the 70's.

Got stabbed and chased a few times.

"Got stabbed and chased a few times."

<crickets chirping>

um, after the first time, why didn't you run faster?

Now, you know the rest of the story.

What in the world happened to Paul Harvey??????????

Gosh I miss him!

Is he extant!!!!

What in the world happened to Paul Harvey??????????

Gosh I miss him!

Is he extant!!!!

He died about 7 weeks ago at the ripe old age of 91.

If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

He died about 7 weeks ago at the ripe old age of 91.

Oh ,bummer , big time. I can sit back in my chair ,close my eyes ...and still hear his voice.

Will miss him for sure.You know It's really stange that I have not heard of his passing.

Where did you find out it?

Oh ,bummer , big time. I can sit back in my chair ,close my eyes ...and still hear his voice.

Will miss him for sure.You know It's really stange that I have not heard of his passing.

Where did you find out it?

It was in the paper a few weeks back and even on the TV. He was still under contract for another year of his news.

I'm pretty sure they said he died in his sleep.

Found 1 photo cira '76 - '78. We built the DB's in '76.

Being a true VW guy, hence the name racevw112, I like the DB's you built in '76. Did you do anything special to the engines? All I can really tell in the picture is you added the TeePee header's and looks like you moved the gas tank above the transaxle.

I did some sifting in the Trinity about two months ago. It was kinda weird sifting gravel with people casting chicken livers over my head. I found a really nice button, a dirty diaper, and a golf ball. :mellow:

Man Mike, with all these pics of the "Good Old Days", it makes me wish I was born a few years earlier. I have looked around the Trinity a few times, and was scared to leave my car most places. There was a park on the east side of the water where I parked and walked down a boat ramp to see the nasty water, and junk. I did find a huge chuck of Jasper, but left it cause I didnt want to touch it. The water smelled horrible too. Or maybe that was just the odor from south dallas... :rolleyes: