Merritt Island, Florida - Pleistocene fossil photos

old bones

Here is a series of five images showcasing some of my finds from the first hunt through the Merritt Island matrix. I have just begun to study the fossils in this intriguing matrix, and hope that I haven't got too many wrong. There are so many possibilities when you find a bone in this stuff. It might be mammal, or reptile...amphibian, or even fish.

The variety is one thing I wanted to showcase. Of course, the amphibian fossils are the really exciting finds, but they are the most difficult to identify.

These images will be featured on episode 5 of 'Fossil Hunters'. :)

post-13648-0-59482300-1452128366_thumb.jpg

post-13648-0-17090500-1452128469_thumb.jpg

continued in next reply

• I found this Informative 5

12-2023TFFsig.png.193bff42034b9285e960cff49786ba4e.png

post-13648-0-77936900-1452128740_thumb.jpg

That's it for now... thanks for looking. :)

Edited by old bones
  • I found this Informative 1

Incredible pictures, as always! I was curious as to why you label the gar scale as marine. I always thought gars were primarily freshwater fish?

Stephen

Incredible pictures, as always! I was curious as to why you label the gar scale as marine. I always thought gars were primarily freshwater fish?

Hmmm, you're right about the freshwater, I reckon. I was thinking 'aquatic' fossils... marine just sounded better. lol

Beautiful, Julianna! They're very well balanced, informative and clear.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Your presentation is simply beautiful!

Would it be OK with you if I were to move this topic to Micro-Paleontology and pin it? It can serve as a sterling example and encourage others to explore the world of tiny fossils.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Beautiful, Julianna! They're very well balanced, informative and clear.

Thank you Charlie :)

Your presentation is simply beautiful!

Would it be OK with you if I were to move this topic to Micro-Paleontology and pin it? It can serve as a sterling example and encourage others to explore the world of tiny fossils.

That would be great, thank you. :)

:faint:

I won't complain if you add more images to this topic...but, I might if you don't, Julianna. :D

I wouldn't worry too much over the gar scales. Their owners are often found in coastal brackish waters.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Hi,

Julianna, your plates deserve a good book ! How do you make them ? You take your photos separately and you group them on the only one at the end ? Very good work, I remain admiring !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

These are really beautiful Julianna.

The weather seems to be holding this morning so I'm on my way to get more of this matrix as long as the wind holds off. I hope to get you more to expand your already wide range of finds.

Those "Pictures" look like high quality posters!! Definitely worthy of a nice frame and hanging on a wall (in a museum!)

KUDOS on the wonderful presentation!!!!

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Excellent presentation Julianna! Your dedication and enthusiasm for this matrix is remarkable. Your patience and experimenting with your photography has produced great results also. ( thank you for making my finds in my gallery look so good ).
' Keep calm and carry on fossiling !' :)

Edited by Ancient Bones

' Keep calm and carry on fossiling '

Julianna

Wow, really impressive. Very artful and informative presentation. I added a link to this post in my pinned Merritt Island post.

Marco Sr.

Thank you, Marco Sr.. :)

:faint:

I won't complain if you add more images to this topic...but, I might if you don't, Julianna. :D

Thank you JohnJ, I just might do that as I accumulate more specimens. I am having fun with the casual layout. :)

Hi,

Julianna, your plates deserve a good book ! How do you make them ? You take your photos separately and you group them on the only one at the end ? Very good work, I remain admiring !

Coco

Thank you so much, Coco.:) Who knows... maybe some day I will make a book. I need to learn a whole lot more about my subject though. Yes, I take many photos of each specimen to get one just right. And then I combine them on a separate image.

These are really beautiful Julianna.

The weather seems to be holding this morning so I'm on my way to get more of this matrix as long as the wind holds off. I hope to get you more to expand your already wide range of finds.

Thank you John, I look forward to the hunt! :)

Those "Pictures" look like high quality posters!! Definitely worthy of a nice frame and hanging on a wall (in a museum!)

KUDOS on the wonderful presentation!!!!

Tony

Thank you Tony. I am so glad that you liked them. I sure enjoy making them. :)

Excellent presentation Julianna! Your dedication and enthusiasm for this matrix is remarkable. Your patience and experimenting with your photography has produced great results also. ( thank you for making my finds in my gallery look so good ).

' Keep calm and carry on fossiling !' :)

Wow, Thanks Mum! :) And you know I loved making your Merritt Island finds ready for your gallery. (I think that you just wrote yourself a cool signature line!)

Edited by old bones

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Julianna, those images are truly awesome in the most literal sense of that word--it has inspired me with awe. John is holding some Magical Merritt Micro Matrix Mix for me and I can't wait to meet-up with him to receive it. Since the rains in Florida this year have kept the rivers/creeks virtually off limits, I've been amusing myself with micro-fossils (and the challenging issues with their photography). Your images are not only clear and informative from an ID aspect but artfully executed.

Cheers.

-Ken

Wow, thank you Ken. Your words have left me speechless...

I look forward to hearing from you when you get to go thru this amazing matrix. Can't wait to see what you find. :)

Julianna

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...