Mosasaur Tooth Composite?

keithmegalodon

Hey TFF,

I bought this from a museum and I am not sure if this Mosasaur Tooth is a composite. Would you guys know if this is a composite or not?

Thanks guys for sharing your opinion. :)

post-17437-0-10226600-1452259222_thumb.png

Appears like a total fabrication and only the crown is real. Not even a composite the root looks like it possibly has been fabricated from a bone.

Yep, real tooth crown, a fake "root" made from a random piece of bone shaped to look like an actual root. the martix is also fake.

You could try to see if water disolves the matrix. Then you'd be left with a genuine tooth crown.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Last August we had a similar post, identical problem. Andy commented that one of the better methods to purchase a rooted Mosasaur tooth is off matrix, how true. Everyone just needs to be very suspect of anything from that region and especially careful of fossils on matrix, assume the worst.

Last August we had a similar post, identical problem. Andy commented that one of the better methods to purchase a rooted Mosasaur tooth is off matrix, how true. Everyone just needs to be very suspect of anything from that region and especially careful of fossils on matrix, assume the worst.

I'm actually going to disagree with that. From my limited experience I find that the fake rooted teeth in matrix are easier to identifiy than the fake rooted teeth out of matrix. How I look at it, basically, the matrix is another element you can identify as either authentic or fake. Without matrix a piece lacks context. If a tooth crown is fitted with a real root that doesn't belong with it it can often be very difficult to identify as a fake just from photos. With matrix as identifying factor it can sometimes give a few extra hints.

If the matrix looks authentic there is a better chance of the rooted tooth also being authentic if it's very much still embedded.

I think for an experienced collector either way is fine. For more of the novice having to view the entire tooth eliminates many issues and give them a better chance of getting a complete tooth.

That is definitely true. But the teeth without matrix are generally also better fakes because they can be viewed from all sides.

That is definitely true. But the teeth without matrix are generally also better fakes because they can be viewed from all sides.

While that may be true, it's also much harder to fake an entire rooted mosasaur tooth out of matrix. Not saying they don't exist, but I haven't seen a convincing one yet. The bad ones I saw at least had elements of the real root there, which was then beautified with matrix.

Fake matrix doesn't hold up, no pun intended, if it's molded into the shape of a mosasaur root; they crumble too easily.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

While that may be true, it's also much harder to fake an entire rooted mosasaur tooth out of matrix. Not saying they don't exist, but I haven't seen a convincing one yet. The bad ones I saw at least had elements of the real root there, which was then beautified with matrix.

Fake matrix doesn't hold up, no pun intended, if it's molded into the shape of a mosasaur root; they crumble too easily.

When looked at from up close and/or form under a microscope ,none of the fakes hold up. But my main point is that on photos the fakes out of matrix tend to be more convincing.

Unfortunately to an untrained eye whether it's loose or on matrix the deception will occur. A novice or someone purchasing a gift will not know any better.

Tucson show is just around the corner and I can already visualize tents full of matrix blocks of all sizes and rows and rows of Mosasaur teeth ready for purchase. The sad part is by the end of the show it will be a sea of empty tables.

These annoy me so much because museums sell them as real either on purpose or with no idea what they are selling, shows you can't even trust the guys who hire the experts!

These are made for display as curios, not for scientific examination. The target market is someone looking for something cool looking.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

These are made for display as curios, not for scientific examination. The target market is someone looking for something cool looking.

I understand but they shouldn't say it is a real root. I've seen some museums charge rather quite a lot of pieces I know are fake... Although I went to one museum once and they sold lots of genuine small fossils for a pound and some really nice smaller belemnites for a great price carved into egg shapes and such... (was like £3 each I think and larger than your hand). Now that is a good display piece!

...they shouldn't say it is a real root...

They should tell the truth, certainly, but the folks running the gift shops are not scientists, and may not know any better.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I was given a Mosasaur tooth in matrix as a gift and after reading through posts here decided to put it in a bucket of water yesterday to see what would happen. After about 45 minutes there was nothing but mud in the bottom of the bucket, a few pieces of bone and several fragments of Mosasaur tooth. Another thing I've learnt, thanks for sharing your knowledge gents, this forum is a real education to those of us starting out.

They should tell the truth, certainly, but the folks running the gift shops are not scientists, and may not know any better.

When I worked it museums I used to go into the gift shop all the time to grab snacks, you would think someone would say something. XD But i understand they don't know what they are selling.

Archived