Color Enhancer for Fossils

dre464

I have a question. Does anyone have any knowledge of anyone attempting to use color enhancing sealers for stone and tile to bring out the colors on a fossil? I did tile installation for about seven years and we used it to bring out the colors in travertines and such. It gave the tiles a "wet" appearance, without the shine. I know it wouldn't take the place of a consolidating sealant like Vinac or Paraloid, but it might make the fossil stand out against a matrix, if the colors of both are similar.

Just a question I've had, bouncing around my skull for awhile...

"Men became scientific because they expected Law in Nature, and they expected Law in Nature because they believed in a Legislator." - C.S. Lewis

I've seen color enhancers used to even out the brown colors of dinosaur fossils that have been partially bleached by the sun. A two toned claw or bone is harder to sell. The results have mixed depending on who does the prep work. I think its more of a dye.

I like to use a couple light coats of Krylon Satin finish chrystal clear. It does enhance the colors some, but also seals and protects, without looking unnatural.

I sometimes dissolve beeswax into turpentine and paint it on fossils to make them "pop" in contrast to surrounding matrix.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Thanks Troodon and jhw.

Uncle Siphuncle, I really like the beeswax idea. I may give that a try. Thanks.

"Men became scientific because they expected Law in Nature, and they expected Law in Nature because they believed in a Legislator." - C.S. Lewis

I tend to heat the turpentine so i can saturate it with beeswax. Produces a dull luster that shows more color than fossils in the raw.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Archived