Sign in to follow this  
dre464

Color Enhancer for Fossils

dre464

I have a question. Does anyone have any knowledge of anyone attempting to use color enhancing sealers for stone and tile to bring out the colors on a fossil? I did tile installation for about seven years and we used it to bring out the colors in travertines and such. It gave the tiles a "wet" appearance, without the shine. I know it wouldn't take the place of a consolidating sealant like Vinac or Paraloid, but it might make the fossil stand out against a matrix, if the colors of both are similar.

Just a question I've had, bouncing around my skull for awhile...

Troodon

I've seen color enhancers used to even out the brown colors of dinosaur fossils that have been partially bleached by the sun. A two toned claw or bone is harder to sell. The results have mixed depending on who does the prep work. I think its more of a dye.

jhw

I like to use a couple light coats of Krylon Satin finish chrystal clear. It does enhance the colors some, but also seals and protects, without looking unnatural.

Uncle Siphuncle

I sometimes dissolve beeswax into turpentine and paint it on fossils to make them "pop" in contrast to surrounding matrix.

dre464

Thanks Troodon and jhw.

Uncle Siphuncle, I really like the beeswax idea. I may give that a try. Thanks.

Uncle Siphuncle

I tend to heat the turpentine so i can saturate it with beeswax. Produces a dull luster that shows more color than fossils in the raw.