Which Paleotool Airscribe To Use?

sweeneyb

I am going to purchase an airscribe this week and was wondering which one I should purchase if I plan to prep mazon creek size nodules?

i would get a paleo aro with a little bit longer stylus. the ME 9100 (chicago) is probably going to be too big, but may be faster if you can be very very careful.

Brock

I agree with Brock, You can do some incredibly detailed work with the 9100 and do it much faster than the ARO 8315-B, but for truly detailed work you would need one of the micro scribes that Paleo has. Here is a pic of both the 9100 and the ARO showing the obvious size difference.

RB

post-171-1240429039_thumb.jpg

post-171-1240429066_thumb.jpg

Does anyone have any particular favorites when it comes to compressors?

Brian Evans

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone have any particular favorites when it comes to compressors?

Sorry took so long to respond - been busy. . .

Air Compressors. . . depends on what your application is and the noise level you can tolerate.

If you are going to run an air scribe, a 2 gal electric will be more the sufficient. The size of the tank will determine the length you can use the compressed air before you have to recharge (ie the compressor runs again). However the larger the tank capacity, the more expensive the compressor. I find that I tolerate the noise of a running compressor fairly easily; therefore I have a 2 gal compressor in my work shop. It is located about 20 feet from me and runs fairly often when I am using the scribe. I could build an insulated cover box for it since it is electric which would reduce the noise level but I haven't found it necessary to do so. (it keeps the wife out of the shop)

I believe my compressor was purchased at Home Depot (received it from my kids as a present) and is portable - it will fit in the trunk of my Pontiac Grand Prix. . . makes it handy to transport and use off site from my house.

Hope this helps

Roger

Guest solius symbiosus
I could build an insulated cover box for it since it is electric which would reduce the noise level but I haven't found it necessary to do so.

Probably a good thing you didn't. That can cause it to over heat. Those fins on the side of the piston housings are there to disperse heat; enclosing it would decrease their effectiveness.

Archived