dre464

My family just returned from a three day, New Years visit to Boerne ("Bernie"), Texas. On our way home, we stopped of by a construction site on the northwest side of San Antonio. I believe it was Glen Rose Formation. We found some nice specimens, including gastropods, brachiopods and even some echinoids. The largest specimens are shown below. The scale is in centimeters.

post-18428-0-11340400-1452316702_thumb.jpg

My question is, are these specimens Tylostoma sp. or Lunatia pedernales? I've seen them identified on TFF as Tylostoma. But in the HGMS Texas Cretaceous Gastropods book, they describe Tylostoma of similar sizes as having a spire 50% of the total length of the shell. However, the Lunatia pedernales is described as having a spire 25% of the total length.

I would just like some clarification. I'm leaning toward Lunatia, but I'm easy to persuade by those with far more knowledge and experience...

Thanks in advance for your help.

"Men became scientific because they expected Law in Nature, and they expected Law in Nature because they believed in a Legislator." - C.S. Lewis

Archived