Denver Museum of Nature and Science

IonRocks

For anyone going to Denver, they have seven (or six) walk-through dioramas of life based on a single fossil site or deposit. This photo is from the late Cretaceous Hell Creek diorama. The Miocene one features a huge entolodont that roars and drool and makes little kids cry with fear. It is very well done. But that's beside the point. The background in these is all painted by one artist back in the 90's, and he had himself some fun with elves. He supposedly painted an elf in each background scene. I have only found the late Cretaceous one. And I have looked a bunch.

You used to be able to stop at the information desk and ask about the elves, and they would give you a "treasure" map that leads you to all the elves. I'll bet less than 1% of the people that visit that museum know about them.

Ramo

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

You used to be able to stop at the information desk and ask about the elves, and they would give you a "treasure" map that leads you to all the elves. I'll bet less than 1% of the people that visit that museum know about them.

Ramo

Maybe with this thread, it will be 2%

I didn't know about those, I'll have to look when I go back (in April probably, we have a membership so it's just getting the hour drive down there)

Archived