Iguanodon and mammoth fossils.

lolman1c

Thinking of making an offer on these from a seller I have bought from before. These are the images he sent me so what do you think?:

Iguanodon:

865d5624ff5eff8a47215adc106409bb.png

d5c5a99ab1f23dcc558659d453574255.png

c1e5e66d63193fb077d8b527c1f828c0.png

Mammoth:

cbb3d86ef80ee73fadb5aaea76d68df4.png

f2f3a13fb13f53552f93ea85e2a8db31.png

What is the locality of the Iguanodont fossil. Looks pretty water worn I'm not sure how you can ID the bone. Why is he saying it a iguanodont.

Edit: Is this from Jamie

Edited by Troodon

They might be good "hole-fillers" in a budding collection, if they are very inexpensive.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

What is the locality of the Iguanodont fossil. Looks pretty water worn I'm not sure how you can ID the bone. Why is he saying it a iguanodont.

Edit: Is this from Jamie

It's described as: "end rib bone" and found on thee Isle of Wight. Right now I am low on money for buying things I don't need online (I spent a lot over Christmas). So I'm just looking for cheaper end fossils to improve my small collection (as I don't focus too much on fossils themselves.) I like the idea of owning a piece of a mammoth or Iguanodon but some of the prices online are out of range for me so i focus on smaller pieces.

Edited by lolman1c

Good tactic on improving your collection. Nothing diagnostic about the bone to say one way or another it's from a Iguanodont but that's the location where lots of material is found. Looks kind of chunky to be a rib end bone they are usually pretty compressed.

Good tactic on improving your collection. Nothing diagnostic about the bone to say one way or another it's from a Iguanodont but that's the location where lots of material is found. Looks kind of chunky to be a rib end bone they are usually pretty compressed.

Hmmm, the problem is is that I don't see than many Iguanodon bones for sale, despite many found at the Isle of Wight so I'm not sure on what they look like entirely. For all I know this could just be a rock... They are from "Wealdon bed". I might focus on trying to get the mammoth tooth though, would be nice to have in the collection. I've held real full mammoth teeth while working within museums so I was pretty sure this was genuine.

Edited by lolman1c

I see IOW dino bones for sale all the time; in this condition they are pretty common. As for the mammoth tooth, it is a poor quality fragment. Much better specimens are available from other shops which are also budget specimens. I would wait it out and save up a little for higher quality specimens.

Hmmm, the problem is is that I don't see than many Iguanodon bones for sale, despite many found at the Isle of Wight so I'm not sure on what they look like entirely. For all I know this could just be a rock... They are from "Wealdon bed". I might focus on trying to get the mammoth tooth though, would be nice to have in the collection. I've held real full mammoth teeth while working within museums so I was pretty sure this was genuine.

If your asking if its a dinosaur bone, that it is.

...I'm just looking for cheaper end fossils to improve my small collection (as I don't focus too much on fossils themselves.) I like the idea of owning a piece of a mammoth or Iguanodon but some of the prices online are out of range for me so i focus on smaller pieces.

This is a perfectly good collecting strategy; the awe and wonder associated with even a small part of an iconic critter can be well worth it :)

My chance of ever adding a nice piece of Gastornis is pretty much zero, but for practically sofa-change I acquired some eggshell fragments to fill the void.

post-423-0-92455800-1452882535_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hmmm, I might hold of on the Mammoth tooth then. Does anyone know what price range mammoth teeth normally go for? I honestly am only limited to ebay for fossils as I don't know what websites to trust and have good prices... it's only being this year I have bought fossils. I live in Yorkshire so the vast majority of my collection is stuff I find myself on the coast for the last 10 years.

Edited by lolman1c

Yes, the bone is a well worn piece of dinosaur bone. There is no way you can say that it is a piece of Iguanodon bone. Iguanodon is known from IOW and is probably the most common dinosaur there, but the seller is likely calling it Iguanodon because it makes it more valuable than simply 'dinosaur'. But that is ... well... a lie in this writer's book. At best an exaggeration in the name of cash. I agree with troodon that it looks too massive to be part of a rib.

My 2 cents.

• I found this Informative 1

thanks everyone, I have a £12 bid on it so I might just leave it and see if I get it... If not then I will look elsewhere

Hi mate! I love big mammals and Mammoths are awesome. I keep my eye on Mammoth teeth for sale through various means. These small sections of teeth are OK but you can get a whole tooth for less than $100. Not sure if that's in your budget. I'll PM you. :)

"That belongs in a museum!"

- Indiana Jones

Hmmm defiantly not buying from that seller again! The time for the bid is close to the end and someone outbid me. The seller has a bunch of other bones like that for a lower price than the bid but with 0 bid so it made me suspicious. I looked at the bidders history and they only have 1 bid in their lifetime on ebay and it is on that item! This leads me to only conclude the seller is trying to drive his own price up! I won't be bidding again! Thanks everyone for the tips and info!