First Trip

Guest solius symbiosus

Guest solius symbiosus

As some of you know, I have revived my interest in paleontology after a 10 year hiatus. I made my first trip out today, and I found, to my horror, that 3 of my favorite sites are gone(I recently moved back to this area).

One is now a mega-lumberyard, and the other two were destoyed by road widening(Doesn't it drive you crazy how the engineers slope the banks now). Anyway, I found another site in my favorite Formation.

After about 30 minutes, it started raining. I stuck it out for another 15 min hoping it would stop, but had to give it up because I was getting soaked. Of the pieces I found, usually I wouldn't keep anything but the Hebertella and the tabulate coral, but since it had been so long, I brought these back.

I was hunting in the Millersburg Mb. of the Lexington Lm. in Fayette Co. Ky.

The Millersburg is polluted with trepostomate Bryzoans. I usually don't even bother with them, but I brougt back a couple examples of Constellaria for anyone who hasn't seen the species. It is a very good index fossil for the Ordovician.

DSCN0049.jpg

The outcrop (The hammer is about 12 in)

DSCN0051.jpg

Nice fossils!!

good to see you getting back out into the field and those corals are nice!

I also hate how they are sloping the banks...unless of coarse i can get there when they do it to sort through the off cuts! but i guess you just have to wait for really heavy rains to was things out.

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Guest solius symbiosus

Black and white shows contrast much better that color. I can start using color if you prefer.

EDIT: Another trick to increase the contrast is to photograph the piece in water.

OK, I built a light box for photo tests. Now someone needs to build a water box. Fish tanks and Tupperware containers are cheating. Ya gotta make it. I like bronze. Can someone cast a water box out of bronze for us please? And make it polished bronze so the fossils have a healthy glow.

Jim