Megalodon tooth

Chrissfishes

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum. I got a megalodon tooth from a business in Wyoming. I'll share a picture of it soon. Was wondering if it's authentic? The people in the store said the only fossil they had that was a cast was a T-Rex fossil. I have always been interested and love prehistoric animals and dinosaurs. I have a small collection of fossils and this tooth is my favorite of them all :) . My cousin had a lot of fossils and some that were very nice fossils to have. I have some photos of other fossils in the store. Just was wondering how to upload photos. Thank you!

Edited by Chrissfishes

Here are some image-loading tips:

LINK1

LINK2

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thank you very much! Here are some photos of fossils from the store. I'll share the picture of the tooth as soon as I can.

post-20493-0-64938700-1452966114_thumb.jpgpost-20493-0-57352100-1452966142_thumb.jpgpost-20493-0-94560400-1452966158_thumb.jpgpost-20493-0-13406100-1452966179_thumb.jpg

It is genuine, with no obvious signs of repair or restoration.

Did it come with a point of origin?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

The tooth looks great, but I am suspicious of mysterious sock clad feet.

• I found this Informative 1

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Thank you very much everyone! The origin was South Carolina found by a diver. I'm sorry about my feet in the picture.

Cool tooth and cool looking store. Got no fossil shops of any kind here in Perth, Australia.

PS. At least your socks match. Unlike mine right now...

"That belongs in a museum!"

- Indiana Jones

Thank you guys! I'm very excited about getting it. I have been wanting one for a long time. My wife was on a trip, found the store, and got it for me. It was really thoughtful of her. She sent me those pictures of the store and I want to get a plane ticket and go there right now if I could lol. We will be back to the store for sure. We don't have any fossil stores in our area either. Or if we do it's just the common stuff. I would love to go to Australia. My wife has been to Perth a couple of times.

Just was curious what do you guys put your fossils in? I have some other fossils that I got from my cousin and they are in a shoe box. I want to take good care of the tooth and the other fossils.

Lots of folks use riker boxes to store fossils. They are available on line through many dealers and on ebay. See photo.

Meg teeth are often just mounted on meg stands. Lots of different ones to choose from just Google Meg stands.

https://www.google.com/search?q=megalodon+teeth+stands&safe=off&client=tablet-android-samsung&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjv7IGajbHKAhVJyWMKHXvxCOMQ_AUICCgC

post-10935-0-03533600-1453041911_thumb.jpg

Edited by Troodon

Nice Tooth indeed, great buy.

I guess about the only way to get them big butt ones is to buy one.

Now is this real? :blink:

2934a.jpg

Jeff

...Now is this real? :blink:

2934a.jpg

No.

As Troodon points out Meg teeth are often displayed on stands. As Megs are solid and not prone to any pernicious environmental hazards, great latitude in display is safely possible. The only concern I can think of is selecting a spot where a tooth could not be knocked over and drop to a hard surface. Because they are so robust I display mine "in the open." The first photo shows a group resting on a large, ornate cigar box. They are on a small table in palatial snolly manor's formal living room. (snolly has a great wife). The second shot shows a grouping that rests atop a glass display cabinet (fossils) in the entry hall. For scale,the tan tooth is just shy of 6".

Dusting is the only headache with this technique. Being accessible also invites viewers to touch and hold these impressive fossils; which I view as a positive. I do have other fossils that I would not want folks handling for fear of damage; but the teeth, no problem.

post-8873-0-29297200-1453044559_thumb.jpg post-8873-0-56289600-1453044613_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Thank you very much everyone! I think I will buy the riker boxes to keep my fossils to be on the safe side. I think it would be more fun and 100% sure it's real to be able to find one at the beach or dive for it yourself. However it can be hard/rare. I have heard that from the recent hurricane/weather activity on the east coast it's been easier to find them. To buy one you need to find a store or person that's trustworthy. Like this store we got it from. The business is family owned and my wife said the owner was the only one working, was very knowledgable, and obviously it was his hobby/interest. He has his contacts. You just have to be careful buying them. Thank you again!

I have a random question are all megalodon teeth found out east in the Atlantic Ocean or are they all over the world? Also, my wife and I are planning to take a trip out to Wyoming and stop at the store while we are there. Was curious if there are tricks/hints that I should look out for to make sure the fossils are genuine when I hold them or look at them? Thank you!

I have a random question are all megalodon teeth found out east in the Atlantic Ocean or are they all over the world? Also, my wife and I are planning to take a trip out to Wyoming and stop at the store while we are there. Was curious if there are tricks/hints that I should look out for to make sure the fossils are genuine when I hold them or look at them? Thank you!

Meg teeth are found all over the world. However almost all of them are found on the east coast.

If there's anything you're interested in getting, it'd be helpful in telling you what to look out for. One rule in general while you are there is if you tap a small rock on it, does it make a clink noise like two rocks hitting each other or more of a thump. A thump would mean it's artificial. However, I'm not sure they would let you bang their fossils with rocks haha. Whatever you're interested in getting, read up on the forum so you can learn how to spot a fake.

Riker boxes are definitely the way to go for smaller stuff. You'll also find a variety of reasonable stands on ebay specifically made for showing off your prized megs.

post-2182-0-23653600-1453505659_thumb.jpg

Some very cool Meg teeth come out of Australia! I also have Philippine Meg teeth. And a cool US Meg tooth. Its Meg UN. With tapping on a rock, well it wouldn't be hard to tap it with a ring...

"That belongs in a museum!"

- Indiana Jones

I know a website which is selling 50 fossil shark teeth for £7 that would look great in a display on shark teeth.

Edited by lolman1c

Thank you very much everyone! I figured the teeth would be every where but wasn't sure as majority of the teeth being found seemed to come from the east coast.

That's a cool idea of putting other teeth with the megalodon tooth to show the difference. I might do that.

I think I will just read up on how to spot a fake and do that. I'm not sure they would allow that. They would probably make me buy it lol. Thank you again!