Don't get fooled buying Daspletosaurus Dino Teeth

Troodon

A number of sellers on your favorite auction site are selling dinosaur teeth identified as Daspletosaurus. Images of a few are shown below.

The problem is, like I've mentioned on a number of prior posts is that you cannot distinguish these teeth with other Tyrannosaurs of that period. Albertosaurus and Gorgosaurus teeth are indistinguishable with Daspletosaurus teeth of the same size. It appears to be just a marketing ploy to offer a sexier and more valuable tooth. These teeth should be identified has Tyrannosaurid indet.

post-10935-0-23569000-1453048824_thumb.jpgpost-10935-0-66876700-1453048836_thumb.jpgpost-10935-0-07233500-1453048848_thumb.jpgpost-10935-0-62776700-1453048861_thumb.jpgpost-10935-0-62803500-1453048886_thumb.jpg

Edited by Troodon
  • I found this Informative 6

I've read that Daspletosaurus fossils are the rarest of the large Tyrannosaurs. If true, it would make sense that some sellers might try to exploit that fact by marketing indet. teeth as Daspletosaurus. To me its sad because it almost assigns a commercialized priority to these ancient creatures whose importance to our understanding of vertebrae evolution should be viewed with a sense of equality.

• I found this Informative 1

Daspletosaurus was the largest of the Tyrannosaurs in the Campanian and you're correct viewed as a preferred tooth. Hard to determine if they are rarer at the size being sold since you cannot distinguish between the species but larger teeth are indeed rare and prized. To me any tyrannosaur tooth is cool a should be viewed equally

What is very disturbing is when sellers place the term "digested tooth" on the listing when it is clearly a root etched, weathered specimen. Not exactly honest business practices! I am starting to see this convience term a lot in order to sell these overvalued specimens.

Here is different seller offering Daspletosaurus teeth and the one shown on my initial post also has Albertosaurus teeth for sale (same issue).

ALERT: Dealers are starting to roll into town, so anyone going to the Tucson fossil show be cautious of those offering Judith River or Two Medicine Formation teeth from Montana. Great pickup if you can find one but they are all Tyrannosaurid indet. Don't pay more if they are pitching Daspletosaurus unless they are + 3 1/2".

post-10935-0-53524700-1453375745_thumb.jpg

post-10935-0-68469700-1453375724_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Here is different seller offering Daspletosaurus teeth and the one shown on my initial post also has Albertosaurus teeth for sale (same issue).

ALERT: Dealers are starting to roll into town, so anyone going to the Tucson fossil show be cautious of those offering Judith River or Two Medicine Formation teeth from Montana. Great pickup if you can find one but they are all Tyrannosaurid indet. Don't pay more if they are pitching Daspletosaurus unless they are + 3 1/2".

attachicon.gifs-l1600 (1).jpg

attachicon.gifs-l1600 (2).jpg

Heh. I was real close to getting the first tooth.

Honest though, the price wasn't so bad. But a Nano-T stole my budget.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Heh. I was real close to getting the first tooth.

Honest though, the price wasn't so bad. But a Nano-T stole my budget.

Good move because if you look closely it's only the front end of one missing +30%.

• 1 month later...

I thought to bump this post since the sale of Tyrannosaur teeth identified as Daspletosaurus continues to be prevalent on auction sites, social media and websites. I just picked up this nice tooth "Daspletosaurus" tooth on an auction site, IT'S NOT.

I would like to remind collectors that the only positive method for this identification is to find a tooth associated with a jaw or a "crown" well over 3". Albertosaurus teeth can get quite large. Don't be taken by a nice write-up or pictures or think that a seller knows his dinosaurs. If you like the tooth go ahead and purchase it but its label should read: Tyrannosaurid indet.

post-10935-0-85823400-1456315681_thumb.jpg

If Daspletosaurus is the rarest and most desirable. It makes me wonder about the teeth that are specifically labeled as Albertosaurus or Gorgosaurus.

The distribution of these three Tyrannosaurids also isn't the same right? As I understand it Daspletosaurus has a more southern range. While there is of course an area of overlap. I wonder how far north and south these creatures appear so that an identification might be done through location alone.

Edited by LordTrilobite

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

If Daspletosaurus is the rarest and most desirable. It makes me wonder about the teeth that are specifically labeled as Albertosaurus or Gorgosaurus.

Good point, they suffer from the same issue but are probably more appropriately priced. They don't try to mislead buyers by pushing more desirable teeth. Unfortunately I see more Daspleto teeth for sale than the other two.

I think there was a piece on the distribution in either Tyrannosaurid Paleobiology or Tyrannosaurus rex: The Tyrant King. But I forgot. Both good books though.

I need to look that up again.

I bought a tooth from the person who is seller the cased teeth, I was lucky that I was looking for regular tyrannosaur teeth!

I think there was a piece on the distribution in either Tyrannosaurid Paleobiology or Tyrannosaurus rex: The Tyrant King. But I forgot. Both good books though.

I need to look that up again.

Daspletosaurus sp. has been found in the Two Medicine Fm of Montana but has not been described. It has been described from Alberta and I'm not sure what it's official status is from Judith River of Montana.

I'll be attending the fossil show in New Jersey in April. Interestingly enough, before joining this forum, I had a dealer ask me if I had any Daspletosaurus teeth in my collection. I told him that I didn't. He said he would have some really nice specimens at the show that I might be interested in. I'm now informed, thanks to Troodon, and the members of this forum. I might purchase if I like the tooth, but not because it "might" belong to a Daspletosaurus, and I will tell him that when I talk to him at the show.

This is a tooth that I purchased last year at the show. It was sold as a Gorgosaurus tooth, and has since been relabeled in my collection. I love the tooth none the less. :). It is just short of 2 inches in length.

post-20686-0-58209600-1456487468_thumb.jpg. post-20686-0-49042500-1456487510_thumb.jpg

post-20686-0-43483200-1456487582_thumb.jpg. post-20686-0-36047200-1456487637_thumb.jpg

There. I relabeled my tooth from Alberta that was originally labeled as Gorgosaurus libratus. It's a shame it doesn't have an exact location.

I'll be attending the fossil show in New Jersey in April. Interestingly enough, before joining this forum, I had a dealer ask me if I had any Daspletosaurus teeth in my collection. I told him that I didn't. He said he would have some really nice specimens at the show that I might be interested in. I'm now informed, thanks to Troodon, and the members of this forum. I might purchase if I like the tooth, but not because it "might" belong to a Daspletosaurus, and I will tell him that when I talk to him at the show.

This is a tooth that I purchased last year at the show. It was sold as a Gorgosaurus tooth, and has since been relabeled in my collection. I love the tooth none the less. :). It is just short of 2 inches in length.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg. attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg. attachicon.gifimage.jpg

That is very disappointing because I believe I know who it is and I've had discussion with him on this subject. Just goes to show you that money drives dumb decisions. The best way for dealers to be successful is to be honest and upfront with their customers. Repeat business is what's it's all about. Short term gains are not successful in a market niche that is small and collectors know one another and talk. Enough ranting but plan to have part 2 discussion with him. Edited by Troodon

• 2 years later...

Can a tyrannosaur tooth found in the Two Medicine Fm. be an Albertosaurus tooth? Or should it be narrowed to Gorgosaurus or Despletosuarus?

10 hours ago, DinoSharky said:

Can a tyrannosaur tooth found in the Two Medicine Fm. be an Albertosaurus tooth? Or should it be narrowed to Gorgosaurus or Despletosuarus?

Daspletosaurus horneri is the only described tyrannosaur in the Two Medicine Fm. by T. Carr et al. just last year.   Gorgosaurus sp. is also present that includes a skull being found years ago, but not yet named.   Crowns under 3 inches are  indistinguishable between each other

Currently Albertosaurus is only known from very late campanian/maastrichtian deposits of the Horseshoe Canyon Fm of Alberta. 

• I found this Informative 4