Spinosaurus tooth or....?

Hello

I just came to your fantastic community and i want your knowledge and experiences to answer my questions if you can.

I used to collect ammonites and trilobites, but my love for dinos pushed me to search about them and i found some cheap spinosaurus teeth. I thought it was a good start so i purchased some in low price (I couldnt beleave that i could take a dinosaur part so cheap, but i saw the spino teeth are very common)

They look real teeth to me and i dont care about any restoration or breakage because i just want a dinosaur tooth.

The info from the dealer:

DINOSAUR TEETH 55MM 40mm

Spinosaurus aegyptiacus
Cenomanian CRETACEOUS
Kem Kem, MOROCCO
The photo is from him. I am waiting for them to come in the next few days so i can post some new pictures if you want.

So in your opinion are they real dinosaur teeth?

Are from Spinosaurus?

Whats the difference from the teeth from other animals, lets say crocodile teeth or something else?

Thanks.

post-20518-0-99852400-1453207033_thumb.jpg

Edited by kost

Welcome to the forum.

Your teeth are real Spinosaurus teeth. Spinosaurus teeth can have ribbing (ridges) along the length and slight cutting edges on the sides.

Added an image of a few typical teeth

post-10935-0-02370500-1453209614_thumb.jpg

Edited by Troodon
  • I found this Informative 1

Research is underway that could show there to be more than one species of Spinosaur, so it may be prudent to label these as :Spinosaurus sp.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Yep, looks good to me! Also if you love Dinos then try Triceratops next! sections of their frills can cost like £30-80 and their teeth can be anywhere from £3+ depending on condition and if they are worn or not.

Oh Thank you all.

I am really happy now with my old big teeth :)

I heard people confusing them with crocodile teeth and i was concerned.

Next Carcharodontosaurus or Triceratops. TRex has golden teeth lol.

Oh Thank you all.

You can usually tell if a tooth is from a spino is because it's slimmer and has ridges on both sides of it. Croc teeth tend to be fatter.

Forgot to say I think you should go for a Carchardontosaurus or tyrannosaur tooth from the US. Both are pleasing teeth to look at and come from remarkable creatures.

Welcome to the forum :). I have a Spinosaurus tooth that looks almost identical!

I seriously can't stand it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus.

Oh Thank you all.

Since you are inexperienced with dinosaur material you are welcome to post pictures on this forum before you make your next purchase. We will be more than happy to give you our opinions on what you are interested in and avoid being disappointed.

I certainly found when I started collecting a year back the fact that the teeth of the biggest Carnivore around just happened to be the cheapest and most abundant.

It just so happens that they seem to crop up like rabbit droppings in the Moroccan deserts.

The main concern about fakes I think would be for the longer rooted ones.

Maybe in a decade or so's time they'll become scarcer as supplies dry up and so prices will be inflated so best make the most of it now. I don't know how much truth there is in these stories of the Kem-Kem beds being worked out though but even if they are there must be enough Spino teeth in the world for everyone to own one you'd think.

Since you are inexperienced with dinosaur material you are welcome to post pictures on this forum before you make your next purchase. We will be more than happy to give you our opinions on what you are interested in and avoid being disappointed.

Yeah. that's the plan for the next purchase.

but for those i bought them very quickly and they were very cheap so i took the risk.

Best way to tell would be posting photos of the root of the tooth. If not possible, a close up of fractures would suffice. Some teeth are not outright fakes, but instead composites made up of two or more partial teeth. The lateral ribbing on your specimens suggests, however, that they are real. It is always good to be suspicious of teeth mostly encrusted in sand, so don't purchase any of that ilk.

Forgot to say I think you should go for a Carchardontosaurus or tyrannosaur tooth from the US.

the bad thing is that shipping cost from US to Europe is too high, sometimes as much as the price of the object.

Edited by kost

the bad thing is that shipping cost from US to Europe is too high, sometimes as much as the price of the object.

There's just as many UK dealers as there are US. I just typed in "dinosaur fossils for sale uk" into google and lots of sites popped up. Shipping should be much cheaper then. Hope this helps, and if you have any questions feel free to ask the forum!

• 2 weeks later...

I also think they're real.

Here you have a photo of one of the same specie that I bought in Lisbon Fossil Show (it's partially restored):

post-18967-0-25757700-1454159539_thumb.jpg

Edited by Guguita2104

whow Guguita this is a pointy one. I assume is the nose that is restored.

Guys what do you think about some eggshell pieces that are everywhere on the internet?

is there any way that they really know that the small piece of stone is a dino eggshell and they know even from what dinosaur came from? I dont really want to buy one, just asking.

for example as in the picture,

and a triceratops tooth that as i know it looks like as many others i saw until now and i may take one.

post-20518-0-42690400-1454255762_thumb.jpg

Edited by kost

Guys what do you think about some eggshell pieces that are everywhere on the internet?

is there any way that they really know that the small piece of stone is a dino eggshell and they know even from what dinosaur came from? I dont really want to buy one, just asking.

and a triceratops tooth that as i know it looks like as many others i saw until now and i may take one.

The tooth on the right is a Ceratopsian shed tooth and possibly Triceratops if it comes from the Lance or Hell creek Formations.

The eggshell may be dinosaurian but if it is there is no way to determine what dinosaur it came from.

Welcome to the Forum! Your teeth are very much real! My first dinosaur tooth was a Spinosaurus tooth as well :)

"Or speak to the earth, and let it teach you" Job 12:8

The answer is "42".

Shall we have a Vogon poetry contest?

:P

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Yes, you're right!