Coral?

Guest Nicholas

Guest Nicholas

I bought 2 pieces of coral from the Falls of the Ohio gift shop when I visited there last summer. Someone told me it was "Bone" Coral but I wanted a second opinion especially because I may run into it again when I hunt the surrounding areas, if it does indeed come from that area. Help would be appreciated, thanks.

post-163-1200017481_thumb.jpg

are there any radiation lines coming from the center of the second one on top? if so could you get a picture of it? :huh:

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

If the specimen comes from Ohio it is very unlikley to be bone as I believe most of the rocks there are Palaeozoic.

Though I live in the UK I come out to Ohio a couple of times a year and have picked up a few specimens of coral that look quite similar to yours, so my best guess would be Coral.

Guest solius symbiosus

^The Falls of the Ohio are a series of rapids on the Ohio River on the Kentucky and Indiana border. The lower most beds are upper Silurian(only exposed when the water level is very low).

I recently moved from that area. Living there for 15 years I found that corals are very prolific in the Dev. rocks of the area. I found a horn coral there that is nearly the size of my forearm.

Just North of the "Falls", the area is overlain by glacial outwash. Your best hunting will be in the immediate area of "Falls" in Clark Co and Floyd Co Indiana, and across the river in Jefferson Co Ky.

I found one of my best Phacops rana a couple of miles from there. A couple of pics in my Trilobite and Crinoid threads show a couple of pieces from the area.

Regarding your coral, I think that is a common name given to several different colonial rugosids found in the area.

Guest Nicholas
^The Falls of the Ohio are a series of rapids on the Ohio River on the Kentucky and Indiana border. The lower most beds are upper Silurian(only exposed when the water level is very low).

I recently moved from that area. Living there for 15 years I found that corals are very prolific in the Dev. rocks of the area. I found a horn coral there that is nearly the size of my forearm.

Just North of the "Falls", the area is overlain by glacial outwash. Your best hunting will be in the immediate area of "Falls" in Clark Co and Floyd Co Indiana, and across the river in Jefferson Co Ky.

I found one of my best Phacops rana a couple of miles from there. A couple of pics in my Trilobite and Crinoid threads show a couple of pieces from the area.

Regarding your coral, I think that is a common name given to several different colonial rugosids found in the area.

Thanks for the hunt locations, I've been working out and mapping the area for hunts. My wife is from there and living there currently for school. So I visit there about 5 months of the year. During those times I live in New Albany, IN. I have a various geological features and fossil sites mapped about a 100 mile radius. Which gives me easy access to some of the best hunting spots in the area. I'm going to be there in May, and I am very excited to hunt the area.

Guest solius symbiosus

While your here be sure to check out Jeptha Knob. It is a meteor impact site that is nearly 10km in diameter. The "hill" is about 40km East of Louisville along the North side I-64. Travelling East from Louisville, you can't miss it; it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Also, the Bluegrass region is world famous for it's Ordovician fossils.

Archived