Mixing Epoxi Resin with Brachiopods

minnbuckeye

Not sure where to post this .My collected fossils have always been distributed as best possible to organizations that can use them for educational purposes. Brachiopods are tough to give to entities like schools and nature centers because of the number of people that handle them as they are small and many fragile. This is the solution that I have been toying with to make access to these fossils more palatable. Clear epoxy resin can be purchased at Walmart or Hobby Lobby, or many other places. Mixing the brachiopods in allows a nice display that shows both sides of the fossils. If it gets scratched, a quick squirt of lacquer spiffs up the surface. There are 2 types of epoxy. A 100 to 1 epoxy to hardener and a 1 to 1 mix. I suggest the 1 to 1 mix. It is much easier to come up with the right mix. If you look, there are some examples of mine that are rougher than others. These were the 100 to 1 where I added a bit too much hardener and it set fast with a lot of heat. The rough surface (only on the down side) resulted. The other thing to note, with many brachiopods, there can be a concave surface that retains a bubble when dropped into the epoxy. Make sure to be aware of this or results can be like a few of my examples. I am going to attempt to drill a hole down to the bubble and then inject a bit of resin. Hopefully this will work! There was someone that asked for suggestions as to how to display loose crinoids. It was this epoxy that I had referred to. Hopefully this will get to be seen by him. If a mix of crinoid (layered) and resin were placed in a nice glass, it would make for a great display. I may even try this with my leftover resin. Here are my results:post-12553-0-83600400-1453246456_thumb.jpgpost-12553-0-68323900-1453246508_thumb.jpgpost-12553-0-32596300-1453246567_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

What a cool idea!

I was actually thinking of doing an epoxy base to one of the fish I have to prep, as I am afraid the block will come apart if I jostle it too much.

Thanks for the write-up.

Regards,

EDIT: What did you use for the mold?

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Genius!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

What a cool idea!

I was actually thinking of doing an epoxy base to one of the fish I have to prep, as I am afraid the block will come apart if I jostle it too much.

Thanks for the write-up.

Regards,

That's how the fish from the Messel shale are prepared. Fish from Messel take special preparation because of the crumbly nature of the shale. This fish was prepared on one side, then a layer of resin was poured over the prepared side. The now-stabilized specimen was then completely prepared from the other side, removing all the shale matrix, but leaving all the bones!

post-42-0-78128700-1453253138_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Nice! brings back some very fond memories as a kid when I was putting pesky plant specimens in resin blocks ..my plant fascination started really early...

Thanks for the post. Regards, Chris

great idea

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

That's how the fish from the Messel shale are prepared. Fish from Messel take special preparation because of the crumbly nature of the shale. This fish was prepared on one side, then a layer of resin was poured over the prepared side. The now-stabilized specimen was then completely prepared from the other side, removing all the shale matrix, but leaving all the bones!

attachicon.giffish_messel_amia.jpg

Yep sure are.

Too bad they closed that down was great going there.

Edited by amour 25

Jeff

What a cool idea!

Thanks for the write-up.

Regards,

You can purchase cheap forms to pour the epoxy in at the same location that one finds the epoxy. If one google searches epoxy molds, there is a vast array of choices in all sorts of sizes and shapes

• I found this Informative 1

You can purchase cheap forms to pour the epoxy in at the same location that one finds the epoxy. If one google searches epoxy molds, there is a vast array of choices in all sorts of sizes and shapes

Thank you.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• 4 weeks later...

Minnbuckeye,
On some of your Rafinesquina sp. and Strophomena sp. Brachiopods there are small circles. Are those circles Edrioasteroids? They look like them but I would need an enlargement to confirm.
Great idea on encasing the brachiopods in resin. I found a resin block with fossils like this at a flea market once. I imagined it had been prepared many years ago and was impressed with the idea that resin can help preserve the fossil for many years to come.
The down side of it is that it is not easy to remove from the resin if one of the specimens is needed for study, such as if there were a rare Edrio on one. It would still be possible to cut the resin so only the one special brachiopod is shown separately, if that were needed.
Thanks for showing us this.
Bill

What a great idea. I've a lot of duplicate fossils and have been toying with giving them to my daughters school (5-11 year olds) and was worried they wouldn't last long. Conveniently I have some 1:100 resin in my studio from an artwork that didn't materialise

Minnbuckeye,

On some of your Rafinesquina sp. and Strophomena sp. Brachiopods there are small circles. Are those circles Edrioasteroids? They look like them but I would need an enlargement to confirm.

Great idea on encasing the brachiopods in resin. I found a resin block with fossils like this at a flea market once. I imagined it had been prepared many years ago and was impressed with the idea that resin can help preserve the fossil for many years to come.

The down side of it is that it is not easy to remove from the resin if one of the specimens is needed for study, such as if there were a rare Edrio on one. It would still be possible to cut the resin so only the one special brachiopod is shown separately, if that were needed.

Thanks for showing us this.

Bill

Bill, I only wish they were Edrioasteroids. Unfortunately they are unwanted air bubbles from a beginner working with a new media. Live and learn. Would they pass for the real thing? Maybe I will sell them and see if they show up on TFF under the " are these real' category! LOL