Pterodactyl

I bought this fossil at the Nature's Gallery in Carrollton. Not sure if it's an ammonite or a nautilus. Also can somebody tell me the difference between the two and how to distinguish them?

sorry for bad quality.

post-20385-0-02495500-1453254566_thumb.jpg

"Welcome...To Jurassic Park!" -Richard Attenborough

Can you see suture lines separating the chambers? Are they simple, sinuous lines (nautiloid) or complex, intricate patterns (ammonite)?

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Can you see suture lines separating the chambers? Are they simple, sinuous lines (nautiloid) or complex, intricate patterns (ammonite)?

They are pretty complex so it is probably an ammonite. Thank you so much. You were a big help!

"Welcome...To Jurassic Park!" -Richard Attenborough

That looks like the siphuncle showing in a couple of places along the venter. That would make it an ammonoid. If the sutures are compex than it's an ammonite. It looks like it has been polished so it may be from Morocco since so many from there are. A close-up and focused view of the sutures will tell someone who knows that material what it is.

Nautilus...see the placement of the siphuncle.

Nevermind,

That looks like the siphuncle showing in a couple of places along the venter. That would make it an ammonoid.

I see it now. :)

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

I vote for ammonites also

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Need better photos to say, but here you have other images of the diferent suture lines.

1-ammonoids

2-nautiloids (first one)

I agree with Bob Will. The siphuncle in post #4 was the first thing I noticed, so there's no question to me at all that it's an ammonite. The siphuncle on a nautilus is always in the middle and can only be seen in cross section.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Archived