Part of a Crinoid or Part of a Tooth?

dre464

On Memorial Day weekend in 2015, my dad and I took a fossil hunting trip to Brownwood, Texas. One of our destinations was the Wilson Clay Pits. We discovered lots of great pieces, which I will eventually get around to posting. But one specimen has been floating in the back of my mind, and I would like some help in identifying it. At first, I thought it looked like a shark tooth, with the three sharp points. But then I decided that it might be some sort of crinoid calyx plate. Still, I have never seen a crinoid calyx plate with the three spines. Looking at examples of Peripristis sp. make me lean back toward a shark tooth.

post-18428-0-07223800-1453261426_thumb.jpg

I anyone has a suggestion, I would be very grateful...

Daniel

"Men became scientific because they expected Law in Nature, and they expected Law in Nature because they believed in a Legislator." - C.S. Lewis

Considering the fact that the deposit is Pennsylvanian-Permian, I theorize that the tooth belongs to some sort of hybodont shark, most likely Peripristis semicircularis. This shark is abundant at this locality. Alternately, it could (albeit unlikely) be some sort of Eugeneodontid tooth.

Pics:

Peripristis semicircularis:

post-16436-0-11151200-1453264845_thumb.jpg

Eugeneodontid:

post-16436-0-88187100-1453264858_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Excellent find!

That guy is tiny!

Well done.

I edited the pic to show the tooth more prominently.

post-2806-0-70390200-1453300291_thumb.jp

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I don't know, folks. The preservation seems wrong for a tooth from that area. Thair: are you out there? He's the one who will know.

As Carl said the preservation is different than most from there. But the shape is intriguing and that place keeps coughing up weirder and weirder stuff. This one needs to be seen in hand I do think.

Thanks for the comments everyone! I'm constantly amazed by the vast amounts of knowledge floating around this website!

Coelacanth: I like your tentative ID of Peripristis. It truly does look like Peripristis, except that it only has three points on the crown. All of the examples I have seen have many more points. But this tooth looks whole. It doesn't look broken on either side. Is it possible that this is a "young" tooth, one not fully developed in the jaw? Did paleozoic sharks replace their teeth the way extant sharks do? Obviously I have no idea!

Fossildude 19: Thanks for the edit. Mine was pretty dark!

Carl and erose: You are both correct on it looking like weird preservation. That's one reason why I was so back and forth on the ID. It didn't look like a tooth!

Carl: I may send thair a message to see if he can look at the specimen...

erose: You said you might have to see this one "in hand". Would you like some more detailed photos, perhaps under the microscope?

Archie: Those do look very similar, and since the Wilson Clay Pits are Pennsylvanian/Permian, the timing is correct. Peripristis is a petalodont. It all seems to fit...

"Men became scientific because they expected Law in Nature, and they expected Law in Nature because they believed in a Legislator." - C.S. Lewis

Regarding the odd preservation, I will throw this out: could it be a "digested" tooth?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I would be interested in seeing more images from different angles. This would be odd preservation for a tooth from Wilson's Clay Pit.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

That thought had also crossed my mind Auspex. Another couple of Petalodont's that may be worth looking into are Harpacodus and Agelodus (although I'm not sure if these are only found in Europe). Both of these can be fairly variable in the number of points along the crown and juvenile teeth do often have less points than adult teeth, these sharks/cartilaginous fish also shed teeth and replaced them as modern sharks do.

post-20297-0-15355800-1453408362_thumb.jpg

post-20297-0-68432300-1453408677_thumb.jpg

Edited by Archie
  • I found this Informative 1

Digested tooth? That's thinking outside the box! Pretty cool theory. JohnJ, I will take a few more macro shots with my camera and a microscope to see if I can bring out any other details.

I took several photos of the specimen, from several angles. I haven't had access to a microscope yet, though these pictures are quite close.

Do these help?

post-18428-0-72548900-1453522650_thumb.jpg post-18428-0-74339500-1453522652_thumb.jpg post-18428-0-18500100-1453522654_thumb.jpg

post-18428-0-69889300-1453522655_thumb.jpg post-18428-0-22263400-1453522657_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the images. :)

I'll stick my neck out and say I don't think this is a tooth. The morphology and preservation seem wrong for that site. Not sure what it is a broken part of....

• I found this Informative 1

I keep going back to the crinoid calyx plate possibility.

post-18428-0-90043800-1453526126_thumb.jpg post-18428-0-01942300-1453526145_thumb.jpg

Note the similarities to the "root" side of the unknown. The shape is very similar. Is it possible that this is part of a small crinoid calyx? I've never seen one with the spines...

Edited by dre464

I keep going back to the crinoid calyx plate possibility.

attachicon.gifCalyx Plates 001 (scale).jpg attachicon.gifPossible Tooth 0021.jpg

Note the similarities to the "root" side of the unknown. The shape is very similar. Is it possible that this is part of a small crinoid calyx? I've never seen one with the spines...

That makes a lot more sense. ;)

Your newest images are good; I will stay off the tooth bandwagon and devote my energy to other possibilities.

Looks more calcitic than phosphatic.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

@Archie - Ageleodus pectinatus teeth are typically somewhat smaller than what is pictured here. This appears to be about 7 mm wide, while the largest ageleodus tooth in my collection (Red Hill, PA) is about 3.5 mm wide.