Lee Taylor

Deep cut old creek survey

Lee Taylor

I found another site I want to survey. If it looks good I will get in the creek and hunt for teeth and other fossils. No guarantee that there will be teeth there, although this is a a creek that HAS produced good sized teeth. I have never been to this particular location within this creek but have been to others WAY up stream with so-so luck. This particular location is not a location that I know of anyone having hunted before. It is much further down the creek than I usually go. I found this location using Google maps. I am targeting Jan 30 or Jan 31. The temperature is predicted to be 71 degrees and 67 degrees. Contact me if interested.

Edited by Lee Taylor

abcwixson

my son and i are planning on coming down the 31...we will be in the sangaree and ladson area

Lee Taylor

Well at the moment the predicted weather sounds delightful. I will be west of you. Much closer to the Ashley river formation. I will start in a very old large creek there and if it does not produce quickly I will head over to east Summerville to check out another new site (for me). And lastly a construction site in Ladson in the Chandler Bridge area. I am hoping these sites are virgin or near virgin. I should come home with something. Stay in touch. If your sites are not producing and mine are, you can come on over and help haul em in. :)

Edited by Lee Taylor

abcwixson

will do sir...we are going to be in the same creek we were on the 10 but a different branch...there was a long stretch that we didnt even get to so we are anxious to check it out..as it gets closer ill message my number to you

Lee Taylor

that sounds great! I am looking forward to it. I think I am having withdrawals. Need to find a few

abcwixson

hahaha...its only been 3 weeks since i was down and i feel the same...i even abandoned my deer hunting early this year to start toothin hardcore

shock6906

that sounds great! I am looking forward to it. I think I am having withdrawals. Need to find a few

Man, I'm having the withdrawals too. It's killin' me!

Lee Taylor

my plan is to hunt the creeks until the water warms up. I prefer water over 70 degrees F, which usually happens around here in April-May. My favorite water temp is 84 degrees F. After the water warms I will start snorkeling and scuba. I may use the hookah if i really dont want to bother with the scuba gear. I am looking harder and harder at a flat bottom jon boat with a 2.5 gas powered motor. My motorized canoe is just to tippy for me and too slow. I am going to sell it.

I found this really need site that predicts air temperatues 10 days plus, in the future. Will be testing it out this season.

http://www.theweatherwiz.com/forcast-usa.php

Here is what I am hoping for next weekend:

100_1935_zpse6af5030.jpg

Edited by Lee Taylor

abcwixson

We all dream of a sifter like that one...hopefully one of the sites will pay off like that...you say west of ladson and sangaree...is it outside summerville city limits cuz i surely do not want to end up on the business end of the cops ink pen and ticket book

Lee Taylor

there is a law of course (I have read it) but i have not seen the first patrol or ever heard of anyone getting a ticket. I had the DNR motor up next to me while I was on my knees in the Edisto river. Only thing they said was "finding any?". I used my thumb and index finger to indicate a 1"-er. They then motored off. My suspision is the bill was signed into law to satisfy the complaining public back in the day. There is enormous fear out there in regards to the Summerville law. I personally think it has been WAY over blown in my opinion. The law enforcement in my family, is WAY more interested in major crime as opposed to petty stuff. The problem originated when fossil hunters dug a huge unsightly hole along a public walkway and the public demanded something be done about it

Edited by Lee Taylor

abcwixson

I see...hearing the severity of the fines is enough to keep me out of the ditches there with a tool of any sort in my hands

abcwixson

There is a digger that works really hard on the walls in one creek we go to that is really going to be an issue if someone pushes it...he shaves huge sections and then waits for rain to return and hunt the new shave piles but the side effect is it silts the creek causing the city to have to dredge it

Lee Taylor

we have all types. some people go to what i think of as extremes. I try to leave no evidence of my shark tooth activities. Although I do discharge gravel on the bank so that I will not go through the same material again. The place I am targeting is WAY back in the woods. I prefer it that way because it is more likely to be a road less traveled.

abcwixson

with the weather here its hard to believe it will be in the 70s next sunday for the creek fossicking trip...here in augusta we have had an inch of snow or so

Lee Taylor

i noticed it has been a little crazy. Its 35 degrees F here in Charleston now. I was thinking about getting out and doing some scouting but I am not much of a fan of the colder weather now days.

abcwixson

nor am i...arthritic knees from football injuries tend to not like cold at all

Lee Taylor

i may get out an look at the sites and take a few photos if they look good but its a bit cold to be putting my hands in a creek. UNLESS i spot treasure just sitting there.

abcwixson

If you do get out let me know how it looks...i know for a fact that there are teeth at my sites but sifting seems to be the best way to locate them

Lee Taylor

well i did not go outside today. The temperature here is hanging around the high 30's. I am NOT a fan of cold weather. I am a big fan of sifting. I do most of my hunting in the warmer months and the water provides me cooling and keeps me refreshed. It also is the tool that cuts through the overburden. It also works great with a sifter to help sort through the material. I have hunted quarries and land sites and its just drudgery for me personally. Shoveling in the heat with no water is torturous to me. So I am a BIG water fan. I hunted teeth on the bottom of the rivers (using scuba) for twenty years. The water is in my blood

Been thinking about buying another tool

wideeye%20all%20four%20labeled.jpg

http://goldsucker.com/wideeye.html

Edited by Lee Taylor

jpc

I don't get it... what exactly are those tools. They look like fencepost pounder inners.

Lee Taylor

i know for a fact that there are teeth at my sites

The way my brain works is like this. There are teeth everywhere in the South Carolina lowcountry. They are under my house, under the roads, underfoot everywhere you walk. Most everywhere there is an overburden of soil of varying thickness between you and the fossil bearing layers of the earth. In some areas it is thinner than other and in some areas the fossil bearing layer is exposed. The old creeks and especially the river cut into the fossil bearing layers and the teeth fall out of the side walls. They then gather with other material of the same density

Lee Taylor

jpc... this guy explains it fairly well. He also does a demo in the local river. If you notice there is some water starting to gather in the corner bottom. I have played around with this and it is hard to get these things to seal. A little water actually is only an annoyance. BUT it continuously accumulates

Edited by Lee Taylor

abcwixson

Ive never land site hunted but really wanna find a pond site or construction site where theyve dug deep enough to look through....wonder if Kim aka DW would care to join next weekend or even share a landsite of his

Lee Taylor

Kim highly promotes, so he gets lots of requests. He typically stays to himself. Doesn't hurt to try. I see him around. We are casual acquaintances.