How can I get a decent stratigraphic wall map?

matgerke

Does anyone know where I can get my hands on a decent stratigraphic wall map of North America? Or a stratigraphic atlas of the United States? I've seen very pretty ones, but I can't find one that is commercially available. Thanks in advance!

Well, I'm really looking for stratigraphic maps (and, obviously, my interest is fossils), but generalized geologic maps will do. USGS has a lot of maps, but I'd really like large-format printed maps. I'm especially interested in a large wall map of the US or North America (for instance this, although it appears to be available only in digital format), as well as a printed atlas. Thoughts?

A map of the surface geology of an area the size of North America will be very generalized, without local resolution.

While not useful in a practical sense for finding specific sites, it would be an interesting overview.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

What you are looking for are bedrock maps. Those give you the exposed or just below the soil units. AS mentioned anything the size of North America or even just the US will be very generalized. I have seen printed versions displayed and they were probably from the United States Geological Survey (USGS.)

From there you can go to maps that cover regions or entire states. The Americaan Association of Petroleum Geologists (AAPG) prints and sells a series known as Geologic Highway Maps. These are very useful and include fairly good stratigraphic columns. And many states have their own geological surveys who sell state-wide maps.

Next level would, again, be maps for specific states broken into more detail. Here in Texas there is series known as the Geologic Atlas of Texas. New York has something similar. Each has better stratigraphic columns and written descriptions.

From there you can drill down deeper into maps based on smaller areas of coverage at a higher level of detail. Most of those will have associated written material that is very useful.

All of these above will have their own lists of referenced material and you can often follow those references to yet more information.

But back to the beginning...What you are looking for are geologic "bedrock" maps, not stratigraphic maps. Not trying to split hairs but it will improve your search and somewhere along the way we all need to get our terminology to jive.

Great, thanks for the correction. I recognize that a bedrock map of the US would have far too little detail -- but it would be beautiful, and it would be awesome. And it might give me some suggestions for where I might start looking to plan future vacations.

Great, thanks for the correction. I recognize that a bedrock map of the US would have far too little detail -- but it would be beautiful, and it would be awesome. And it might give me some suggestions for where I might start looking to plan future vacations.

Geo maps are often works of art. I've seen some old ones framed under glass and they are quite the wall piece.

Find one you like, then take a good picture, and take it to Staples. They can blow it up to any size you want. Of course, watch copyright laws.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

Good point, Brent. I just downloaded the Geologic Map of North America (the half-size version), and had Staples print their largest poster size (a 36 inch verion which costs $12). Will pick it up in a few days, and I'll update this post with the results.

Good job; that'll do the trick :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Archived