SPetitt11

Hey all,

I am in need of a little assistance. I am starting a new research project on the fossil record of American Chestnuts and am having trouble finding any information on their early history and evolution. I have found that they started in Louisiana and moved up northward, but I am having trouble finding dates on when exactly. I was also curious if anyone has an idea of where a good site would be to maybe find an American Chestnut tree leaf (or chestnut) fossil? I know some have been found in Oregon and Idaho, but I am looking for somewhere near southeastern Tennessee. I am willing to make a drive, just don't really have the funds (or time) to fly anywhere to search. Thanks for your help!

The American Chestnut tree ranges from Ky, Tn, Nc, Sc, Ny. The problem with identification is that the Chinese chestnut tree also inhabits the same area. Because of this, you mostly see American/Chinese chestnut hybrids.

Best regards,

Paul

• I found this Informative 1

...I'm back.

On 1/23/2016 at 10:57 AM, SPetitt11 said:

...I am in need of a little assistance. I am starting a new research project on the fossil record of American Chestnuts and am having trouble finding any information on their early history and evolution. I have found that they started in Louisiana and moved up northward, but I am having trouble finding dates on when exactly...

Here is an excellent textbook chapter:

Dane, F., & Lang, P. (2006)
Biodiversity and evolution of Castanea.
IN: Sharma, A.K., & Sharma, A. (eds.)
Plant genome biodiversity and evolution: Phanerograms (gymnosperm) and (angiosperm-monocotyledons).
Science Publishers, 350 pp.

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png