Segnosaurus Egg- is it real?

HamptonsDoc

I purchased an egg last month labeled as Segnosaurus from our favorite auction website and wanted to know what you guys think of it. The seller knew very little about its origins. He sent it with a "letter of authenticity" from a Chinese professor that I know is pretty much worthless.

post-19603-0-16899300-1453683266_thumb.jpg post-19603-0-94726000-1453683267_thumb.jpg

Real eggshells and right size, but everything else about it is suspicious. You need to ask yourself in all honesty if there is an "egg" there you could visualize.

It could very well be a bunch of loose eggshells stuck on top of a matrix and shaped to look like an egg. Try scrapping some of the matrix off.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Real eggshells and right size, but everything else about it is suspicious. You need to ask yourself in all honesty if there is an "egg" there you could visualize.

It could very well be a bunch of loose eggshells stuck on top of a matrix and shaped to look like an egg. Try scrapping some of the matrix off.

I did scrape some of the matrix and its very dusty, dry and red. Reminds me of chalk.

The only other "segnosaurus egg" I've seen in person was a large nest (10 eggs) that was prepped by a friend of mine. Those eggs had a very similar look with many cracks in the egg shell. I'm hoping to see some more in person next week in Tucson to compare.

I have never handled one of these small (relatively) eggs. However, if the shell pattern pictured was exhibited by an egg type that I am familiar with - I would have concerns. The large gap present between adjacent pieces does not seem natural. I cannot think of a condition or event that would force many pieces of shell apart. Certainly a fracture could do this, but there is no fracture in the areas observed and the wide gap seems typical over much of the shell presentation. Perhaps other eggs of this type display the same configuration, so comparison with images of this egg type may be useful. I just cannot fathom a natural condition that would lead to the pictured appearance. I do, however, very much like the lovely wormwood furniture the piece rests upon.

edit: I just noted your second entry reporting viewing of other examples. To my eye multiple cracks are not the puzzler. It is the inordinate amount of space between fragments.

Edited by snolly50
  • I found this Informative 1

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

I have never handled one of these small (relatively) eggs. However, if the shell pattern pictured was exhibited by an egg type that I am familiar with - I would have concerns. The large gap present between adjacent pieces does not seem natural. I cannot think of a condition or event that would force many pieces of shell apart. Certainly a fracture could do this, but there is no fracture in the areas observed and the wide gap seems typical over much of the shell presentation. Perhaps other eggs of this type display the same configuration, so comparison with images of this egg type may be useful. I just cannot fathom a natural condition that would lead to the pictured appearance. I do, however, very much like the lovely wormwood furniture the piece rests upon.

edit: I just noted your second entry reporting viewing of other examples. To my eye multiple cracks are not the puzzler. It is the inordinate amount of space between fragments.

Thank you for the input. Attached is a photo of the nest that was prepared by a friend of mine. These eggs are similar and have similar spacing between shell fragments. The matrix appears different so I'm assuming they're from different locations. This nest is not owned by the person I bought my egg from.

post-19603-0-55999300-1453736693_thumb.jpg

ps- I too love my wormwood desk (made in Mexico, purchased in a local antique shop)!

With this example, the large gaps are clearly from displacement through crushing; the surface topography shows this with its 'tectonic' irregularity.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

With this example, the large gaps are clearly from displacement through crushing; the surface topography shows this with its 'tectonic' irregularity.

Very interesting. Could the gaps in the shell from the single example I posted be caused by the same?

Very interesting. Could the gaps in the shell from the single example I posted be caused by the same?

Unlikely. The way they are cracked is different.

With the right amount of eggshell and matrix, I could fabricate that egg you have. But I couldn't do so for even a single egg from the nest.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Look at the massive irregularities in the surfaces of the group of eggs, compared to how relatively even yours is.

With a regular surface, the gaps between the fragments would only occur if the egg expanded evenly, or if they were attached after the fact.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I did scrape some of the matrix and its very dusty, dry and red. Reminds me of chalk.

The only other "segnosaurus egg" I've seen in person was a large nest (10 eggs) that was prepped by a friend of mine. Those eggs had a very similar look with many cracks in the egg shell. I'm hoping to see some more in person next week in Tucson to compare.

Here is a Segnosaurus egg. Sorry but I think I would be shocked if one pops up in Tucson, hope I'm wrong. Your egg looks all cobbled up.

post-10935-0-13321600-1453743480_thumb.jpg

I really need to stay off eBay... :shake head:

Well if you see something don't jump, just ask the folks in this forum for their opinion.

I really need to stay off eBay... :shake head:

As Troodon said. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Are you able to get a refund?

Hello, new here but have been selling shark teeth and dinosaur fossil for 7 years on eBay. I would say with 95% certainty that it is a fabricated egg made of real fossil shell pieces (from a Saltosaurus probabaly) and formed to look like an actual egg. My advice is to never buy fossils on eBay from Chinese dealers, very rarely are they authentic. Paypal does have a refund policy that almost always sides with the buyer, but don't wait too long.

I think it's too late to return it. Looking back I actually purchased it in mid November. I only paid $300 so it's not the end of the world, just discouraging. It was from an American seller, too.

Can ebay force sellers to accept returns if the buyer can prove that they were misled when they made the purchase? It seems like you should be able to.

Can ebay force sellers to accept returns if the buyer can prove that they were misled when they made the purchase? It seems like you should be able to.

In most circumstances, if you feel like the product is not what the seller originally described, you can return it. If the seller does not accept returns, you can open a case, and Ebay will step in to compensate you for the money you spent (at least in my experiences).

With that said, I don't think this is a real egg. To be honest, it does not even look like real egg shell, but it's hard to say. The texture and color of your egg shell look almost exactly like the fake one I bought on Ebay about six months ago. The dirt was red on the outside. However, when I opened it up, there was a different type of dirt in the egg's cavity.

"I am a part of all that I have met." - Lord Alfred Tennyson

I believe you normally have a 180 day claim for returns so I would defo at least try with Ebay. I know some times it's a little embarrassing but $300 could easily be traded in for a way better piece!