North Sulphur River - 1-24-16 - first hunt of 2016

DinoMike

Made my first fossil foray of the year. The North Sulphur River turned up a few nice pieces for me.

post-18676-0-10376000-1453692171_thumb.jpg

Baculites sections

post-18676-0-01948700-1453692199_thumb.jpg

Ammonite pieces. The one on the left retains a lot of the original contours. I haven't run across one this nice before in the Sulphur.

(Continued ... )

Nice finds. How was the water? Are there still some places too wet to hunt?

Yup. I couldn't make it to my favorite creek spot. Water was wall-to-wall, too deep to see the bottom. Mud still isn't bad, but is starting to rebuild to normal North Sulphur levels.

Nice finds Mike.

Thanks! Still hoping for: Xiphactinus vertebra/jaw/teeth, plesiosaur material, mosasaur tooth/jaw/other bone than vertebra.

I'll be home Feb 5 for 2 weeks. If you want to go one day message me and I show you some good spots.

Thanks! Still hoping for: Xiphactinus vertebra/jaw/teeth, plesiosaur material, mosasaur tooth/jaw/other bone than vertebra.

I'll be home Feb 5 for 2 weeks. If you want to go one day message me and I show you some good spots.

Will do. The only snag might be... you seem to usually go on weekdays. My work schedule pretty much only leaves Sundays open.

Nice finds! I am dying to go to NSR! I live somewhat close but have never gone, maybe a bit scared to go on my own.

If you plan to go, would you mind a newbie tagging along? Maybe, of course depending on the day and so on....

Will do. The only snag might be... you seem to usually go on weekdays. My work schedule pretty much only leaves Sundays open.

I can probably do a Sunday sometime. I'll post on when I plan my next trip.

No problem.

Nice finds! I am dying to go to NSR! I live somewhat close but have never gone, maybe a bit scared to go on my own.

If you plan to go, would you mind a newbie tagging along? Maybe, of course depending on the day and so on....

If we can do a Sunday afternoon, then I am in. I have some spots where you are almost guaranteed to find something. Can't guarantee mosasaur material, but have never not found at least a piece of two.

I hunted for over a year and never found anything xiphactinus related, but then slowly started finding pieces. I love the vertebrae to those.

Just keep going and learning. My son usually hunts with me and he struggled to find anything, but then walks up one day with this huge bone and I dismissed it as anything until I got closer to it. He had found a plesiosaur propoidal and that is still the biggest bone I have seen in recent years from there. Then in January of last year I stumbled on a mosasaur that turned out to be rare. We go at least two times a month in winter and sometimes more in summer because we can walk for miles.

Sounds like a plan. I'll bribe the boss lady at home with some shopping money and go for a Sunday for a change lol.

If we can do a Sunday afternoon, then I am in. I have some spots where you are almost guaranteed to find something. Can't guarantee mosasaur material, but have never not found at least a piece of two.

I hunted for over a year and never found anything xiphactinus related, but then slowly started finding pieces. I love the vertebrae to those.

Just keep going and learning. My son usually hunts with me and he struggled to find anything, but then walks up one day with this huge bone and I dismissed it as anything until I got closer to it. He had found a plesiosaur propoidal and that is still the biggest bone I have seen in recent years from there. Then in January of last year I stumbled on a mosasaur that turned out to be rare. We go at least two times a month in winter and sometimes more in summer because we can walk for miles.

I'm stuck at work offshore until Saturday but I'm hitting the North Sulphur River all day Monday if anyone is off work and would like to meet up.