Cat Teeth

PrehistoricFlorida

The clovis might be a heartbreaker but I wouldn't throw it away!

Nice finds.

RAWR! I am zeee dead bobcat!

Are the points naturally black, or is it Mn staining? If it is staining, do you try to clean them?

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

Are the points naturally black, or is it Mn staining? If it is staining, do you try to clean them?

Brent Ashcraft

It's staining from the tannins. The material underneath the stain is much lighter. The staining can be removed with various acids, but only a fool would do that.

Amazing stuff...Any idea what kind of cats?

The clovis sure is a heart breaker...It looks like an impact fracture, though. I'd rather know it broke hitting something rather than any other way.

youtube-logo-png-46031.png

It's staining from the tannins. The material underneath the stain is much lighter. The staining can be removed with various acids, but only a fool would do that.

Why is cleaning them such a bad thing? Is it a value issue? I would think that cleaning them to see what kind of chert it is would be interesting. If it is tannins, wouldn't bacterial action eventually eat it away anyway?

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

Amazing stuff...Any idea what kind of cats?

The clovis sure is a heart breaker...It looks like an impact fracture, though. I'd rather know it broke hitting something rather than any other way.

Good eye, Cris. B)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

i love both points, and the first cat tooth is amazing.

as for cleaning the points, i totally cringe at the thought. the clovis isn't a heartbreaker to me. i like it.

Why is cleaning them such a bad thing? Is it a value issue? I would think that cleaning them to see what kind of chert it is would be interesting. If it is tannins, wouldn't bacterial action eventually eat it away anyway?

Brent Ashcraft

Probably like cleaning a rare coin or an antique; the patina of age is desirable.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Both teeth are likely jaguar, haven't reached a 100% ID on either yet though.

Cleaning tannin stained points would turn them a lighter color, basically like a land-found point. Land-found points aren't worth a quarter of what river points are worth.

The Clovis does have an impact fracture on both sides of the tip. However, the point has also been in a fire which caused crazing over the entire point and weakened the ear that also had recently popped off (I didn't do it).

Guest N.AL.hunter

Question for you... why the value difference between land points and river points? And I sure do like the teeth!!

Both teeth are likely jaguar, haven't reached a 100% ID on either yet though.

Cleaning tannin stained points would turn them a lighter color, basically like a land-found point. Land-found points aren't worth a quarter of what river points are worth.

The Clovis does have an impact fracture on both sides of the tip. However, the point has also been in a fire which caused crazing over the entire point and weakened the ear that also had recently popped off (I didn't do it).

Now that's something I've never heard of before. Can an impact fracture happen on both sides by a single impact or is that evidence that it was resharpened after one of the impact fractures and used again?

youtube-logo-png-46031.png

Not much, but here are a couple cat teeth and a couple points. The Clovis is a real heartbreaker.

This just isn't fair; every time you post some of your superb finds, I want to start collecting them. Those cat teeth would be a centerpiece of any riker mount.

I assume they're sold by now?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Now that's something I've never heard of before. Can an impact fracture happen on both sides by a single impact or is that evidence that it was resharpened after one of the impact fractures and used again?

Could've been multiple impacts, but it was likely just one. There are no signs of resharpening.

This just isn't fair; every time you post some of your superb finds, I want to start collecting them. Those cat teeth would be a centerpiece of any riker mount.

I assume they're sold by now?

No, I still have both of them. =)

No, I still have both of them. =)

If you're keeping them for your own collection, then they must be super choice.

yep, when i see some of the stuff you sell i go no! save it but your collection is so big and you have so many great finds you dont need to.

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg