Macropus jaw. What species?

ElToro

I have this fossil Macropus jaw on hold. It will be sent next week. I think it's very cool but I'm not sure of the ID. The seller has it listed as Macropus rufogresius (I think he means rufogriseus, Red Necked Wallaby). However, I don't think that's what it is. The incisor looks much bigger and bladed. Any ideas?

post-20038-0-97091700-1453785811_thumb.jpg

"That belongs in a museum!"

- Indiana Jones

So,it is considered to belong to one of the 11 extinct species of marsupials of Australia. Not much help from me,just more pictures. post-17588-0-40907400-1453798940_thumb.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

So,it is considered to belong to one of the 11 extinct species of marsupials of Australia. Not much help from me,just more pictures. attachicon.gifmacropusjaw22.JPG

Thanx mate, yea, that's the one.

- Indiana Jones

Hello!

Just a guess, but from what I've read it could be a Zygomaturus tasmanicus, they had two fork like incisors they used to dig up plants.

Hello!

Just a guess, but from what I've read it could be a Zygomaturus tasmanicus, they had two fork like incisors they used to dig up plants.

Nah, don't think so. They were real big and quite different. I wish I had a Zygomaturus jaw!

- Indiana Jones

The first thing I noticed about this was that it is just a Joey (a juvenile)- the last two molars have not yet erupted at all, possibly this critter was a semi-independent pouch young.

Iv'e sent the pics to an expert and he thinks it may be a baby Protemnodon of some type- when you get hold of the specimen if you could post some better pics that show the crowns of the teeth we may be able to ID this one down to species.

Also, I would be interested in scoping out the seller (I think I know where this fossil may be from)- could you PM me the details? Cheers!

• I found this Informative 1

The first thing I noticed about this was that it is just a Joey (a juvenile)- the last two molars have not yet erupted at all, possibly this critter was a semi-independent pouch young.

Iv'e sent the pics to an expert and he thinks it may be a baby Protemnodon of some type- when you get hold of the specimen if you could post some better pics that show the crowns of the teeth we may be able to ID this one down to species.

Also, I would be interested in scoping out the seller (I think I know where this fossil may be from)- could you PM me the details? Cheers!

Thanx a lot mate! I'll PM you when I get home from work in a couple hrs.

- Indiana Jones