Basilosaurus teeth? How do we tell the real ones?

-Andy-

Hi all. I am currently looking for a genuine Basilosaurus tooth. Problem is, the market is too heavily saturated with other Archaeocetes like Dorudon or Zygorhiza.

As far as I understand, if a tooth comes from Western Sahara of Morocco, and is over 10cm in length including root, there's a chance it could be cf. Basilosaurus isis. Here I have several candidates.

post-4888-0-88313400-1453817523_thumb.jpg post-4888-0-79772500-1453817527_thumb.jpg

Tooth A - 6 inches in length

post-4888-0-85693700-1453817533_thumb.jpg post-4888-0-91597100-1453817534_thumb.jpg

Tooth B - 5.5 inches in length

post-4888-0-47608000-1453818094_thumb.jpg post-4888-0-93793300-1453818095_thumb.jpg post-4888-0-70541300-1453818099_thumb.jpg

Tooth C and D - 6 inches along the curve

Is there any way I can positively ID out a Basilosaurus tooth? Do any of these 4 teeth look like one?

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Unlikely, given that these are all anterior teeth which are morphologically uninformative amongst archaeocetes. Gingerich and Zouhri (2015) just reported a middle Eocene archaeocete fauna from Morocco but found no Basilosaurus - instead a large basilosaurid, formerly considered a protocetid - Eocetus schweinfurthi - is known instead. The basilosaurid Platyosphys and possibly the protocetid Pappocetus are additional candidates for these teeth.

Unlikely, given that these are all anterior teeth which are morphologically uninformative amongst archaeocetes. Gingerich and Zouhri (2015) just reported a middle Eocene archaeocete fauna from Morocco but found no Basilosaurus - instead a large basilosaurid, formerly considered a protocetid - Eocetus schweinfurthi - is known instead. The basilosaurid Platyosphys and possibly the protocetid Pappocetus are additional candidates for these teeth.

Thank you for the info.

If I wanted a definite Basilosaurus tooth, is there any type of teeth, or locality I should go for?

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Jackson Group, Mississippi-Alabama region in the US is pretty much the only place you can legally get Basilosaurus worldwide - other place is Egypt, but fossils and antiquities are very regulated and the Basilosaurus locality - Wadi al Hitan - is essentially like a national park of sorts (UNESCO World Heritage site).

Basilosaurus is the only fossil that is legally "protected" in Alabama: it is illegal to remove any Basilosaurus specimen from the state without the written permission of the Governor. Not that I've ever heard of the law being enforced. I suspect legislators were thinking of complete skeletons, not isolated teeth or vertebrae, when they passed the law, though it is not written that way.

Don

Thank you for the info.

I suspect getting a definite Basilosaurus tooth is outta the question unless I'm willing to pay a 4-digit price.

I'll look into Moroccan Basilosaurids to see if I can at least try to decipher the species.

• 6 months later...

Does this look like a Basilosaurus tooth? My husband found it in South Carolina.

seems like a dinosaur tooth to me... A basilosaurus tooth dosent normally have a crown that big, and the crown is a bit too "bent" (wrong word?).

Plus, anyone know any good online shops that sell bargain basilosaurus (or any eocene whale) teeth?

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

Does this look like a Basilosaurus tooth? My husband found it in South Carolina.

It's neither a Basilosaurus or Dinosaur Tooth. Might be a tusk but I'm not very knowledgeable in this area.

You might get additional responses if you post this as a separate topic also under the ID section.

• 9 months later...
1 hour ago, Bdda said:

IMG-20170603-WA0059.thumb.jpg.b029288b2f6308f619813f7daec4a15e.jpg

IMG-20170602-WA0027.jpg

Basilosaurus from Morocco

Eocene age 

Marine vertebrate fossils

Are you sure you posted the correct first picture?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 6/16/2017 at 8:53 AM, Bdda said:

Basilosaurus from Morocco

1 hour ago, Still_human said:

The first picture is not of teeth. Those are claws

The one on the right is a piece of bone carved to look like a claw.

Not sure about the one on the left, but looks more like a real claw than the other.

But neither are basilosaurus, or teeth.

@Bdda, I suggest You post pictures of these "claws" in the "is it real" sub forum. 

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/forum/190-is-it-real-how-to-recognize-fossil-fabrications/

The basilosaurus tooth is nice.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

10 hours ago, ynot said:

The one on the right is a piece of bone carved to look like a claw.

Not sure about the one on the left, but looks more like a real claw than the other.

But neither are basilosaurus, or teeth.

@Bdda, I suggest You post pictures of these "claws" in the "is it real" sub forum. 

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/forum/190-is-it-real-how-to-recognize-fossil-fabrications/

The basilosaurus tooth is nice.

He has not been on the forum for the past year but both claws look fabricated

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

He has not been on the forum for the past year but both claws look fabricated

Oh well, Maybe He will see this sometime in the future.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

The claw on the left looks especially faked given that it is cancellous bone with grain running in/out of the picture and thus perpendicular to the long axis of the "claw".

Archived