Tucson Show

Troodon

My wife and I plan on heading to the show next year. If others plan on attending, we should start a group so we can all meet up and tour the show together, see some amazing specimens and get a good laugh at the others. And for the final day everyone will be there together, a hunt. Hopefully valley fever won't be on the agenda lol.

Best regards,

Paul

P.S.

Thanks Troodon for posting your photos from the convention. I'm sure you spent a lot of time resizing all those images and uploading them.

Resizing and cropping was the biggest issue, I do most of my online stuff off a tablet and had to crank up the laptop to do most of it.

The area is full of snowbirds from your neck of the woods so it should be a great trip for you next year. My only advise for first timers is don't cut the trip to short, there is more to see than you can imagine. The closest you can arrive to the opening day the more you will have an opportunity to see.

Wow, what a great 4 days walking around Tucson and taking in all the great fossils and meeting so many knowledagble and interesting people! Troodon, you did a great job with the pictures- so many of the fossils I recognized from TFF! I made many new contacts and brought home some nice pieces for my own collection! Next year I'll be sure to leave more time for the show as 4 days was not enough.

I spent a lot of time contemplating the purchase of a partial Mosasaur, decided not to, but now that I'm home both me and my wife want to contact the seller to have it shipped. I forget the name of the seller (my wife has his card at home), but when you walk into the co-op he is the first room on the right. This Mosasaur is on the wall across from the giant Megaladon jaw. The seller said the bone and teeth are all original, but placed into a different matrix for presentation. What do you guys think of it?

attachicon.gifIMG_5779 (1).JPG

I guess it depends on what you want. To my less that trained eye none of the teeth in that are original to the bone or position. The teeth that appear to be attached to the bone were placed and molded into position with composite material. I wouldn't touch it unless you are buying it as art with the understanding not much (or possibly anything) about that is original to a single fossil and it is almost certainly a composite. Again... I'm no expert so I may be wrong but I've seen enough fakes to be very suspicious about this especially given your comment the fossil was "placed into a different matrix".

My only advise for first timers is don't cut the trip to short, there is more to see than you can imagine.

Agreed- my wife and I were first timers this year and had 2.5 days to explore the show and it was not enough time. There were a lot of things we didn't get to see because of time. Next year I'm going to dedicate a full week.

More white River

Skull goes with skeleton

attachicon.gifIMG_4028.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_4029.JPG

That croc is sweet but out of my price range at $29k

Edited by MikeR

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

Does Tucson have good prices?

Generally yes but it depends on what you are looking for. The Tucson is a venue where dealers come from all over to stock their inventory. They then will increase prices to customers. You can find great deals with Moroccan material if you know what to look for. I see dealers shopping all of the time to get good values and one off items. It's also a place to find unique items that you will not find online. The best dealers are found here and quite a few do not have Web sites and only do shows.

Thanks for all the pics , seems like the show is the one to go to , just like the big mineral show.

But looks like one needs to win the lottery to get the really good stuff. LOL

Edited by amour 25

Jeff

Thanks for all the pics , seems like the show is the one to go to , just like the big mineral show.

But looks like one needs to win the lottery to get the really good stuff. LOL

I showed mostly fossils but the mineral side is 20x fossils. I also showed a lot of the high end stuff because it's cool but prices are from the low end to the moon. Really good stuff is always pricy no matter where you buy. Edited by Troodon

One dealer was exclusively Permian. Extremely large specimens they said. Found at the boundary of the Pennsylvanian/Permian

post-10935-0-10594200-1455070281_thumb.jpg

post-10935-0-63132900-1455070296_thumb.jpg

post-10935-0-52547100-1455070311_thumb.jpg

post-10935-0-94537000-1455070326_thumb.jpg

post-10935-0-55262900-1455070347_thumb.jpg

post-10935-0-29336800-1455070471_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the pics

Were the Solnhofen specimen for sale ?!?

Did not ask but it was set up in a gallery and everything else was for sale, so I have to assume yes.

The Fossil, Gem and Mineral shows are winding down this week, dealers are already leaving and the buzz will soon end. With that said one show opened yesterday and will last through the weekend, the Tucson Gem and Mineral Show at the Convention Center. The show is huge not only filling the Convention Center but also occupying the Sports Arena. Its more than a show of retailers selling their goods it’s a Mineral Symposium where lectures are given and exhibits set up by some of the most notable Museums in the world including : Natural History Museum of London, ROM, Yale Peabody, American Museum Natural History, Smithsonian Institution, Denver Museum, National Museums Scotland and many many more.

I typically do not go to this show since there are no fossils but Bob the Baby T rex was presented to the public for the first time and was a must see. The show was quite impressive and even for someone not into minerals the specimens were stunning and jaw dropping. I posted a few pictures but they do not do justice to seeing them in person. The star of the show was presented by the Smithsonian, a 425 carat Logan Sapphire, I’ve attached a photo. The theme of the show is “Shades of Blue” why most of the specimens are that color. If you are a mineral enthusiastic or someone that just likes Mother Natures beauty this is a must see show.

post-10935-0-65826600-1455311313_thumb.jpgpost-10935-0-86942000-1455311317_thumb.jpg

post-10935-0-31305200-1455311281_thumb.jpgpost-10935-0-08479900-1455311345_thumb.jpg

post-10935-0-60394700-1455311412_thumb.jpg

Forgot to mention this skull of a Corythosaurus which is being sold at the 22nd Street Show is scientifically important. Its the first one found in Montana all the others are from Canada. This is from the Judith River Formation, +90% complete and includes the brain case. There is both collector and museum interest in this specimen.

attachicon.gifpost-10935-0-07743500-1453934938.jpg

I was gonna say it actually looks more like Hypacrosaurus. The crest doesn't seem big enough and the rostrum doesn't seem concave enough.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

I was gonna say it actually looks more like Hypacrosaurus. The crest doesn't seem big enough and the rostrum doesn't seem concave enough.

The skulls of the two have lots of similarities but I'm not an expert enough to know what other diagnostic features distinguish the two other than the crest. I do know for a fact that the paleontologist who co-authored Hadrosaurs looked at the skull and is interested in acquiring it. The ID has not changed since the visit.

New and final venue of my tour the Pueblo Inn. This is the weekend, if one is around, for big discounts on everything. Dealers do not want to go home with product, 50% discount stickers are everywhere and better deals can be had. Most fossil dealers are gone except the 22nd street show and they are discounting with customers and each other. By the way for you movie buffs Steven Segal the actor was around the other day and bought a big Rex tooth.

Hope you enjoyed a brief look at the shows.

post-10935-0-35009000-1455395155_thumb.jpgpost-10935-0-45602800-1455395160_thumb.jpg

post-10935-0-69539400-1455395164_thumb.jpgpost-10935-0-93794200-1455395168_thumb.jpg

post-10935-0-80038900-1455395560_thumb.jpg