Fossil Sperm Whale Tooth

Pterosaur

Hi guys,

I bought a pretty neat sperm whale tooth online about six months ago. It was really reasonably priced, and I'd never seen a fossilized one for sale in such excellent condition... (Apparently, you can only buy non-fossilized sperm whale teeth if you live in Maine or something like that?)

It came from the North Sea, so the guys I bought it from completely glazed it with some sort of consolidant. I'm really glad they took the time to do this. However, I think they overdid it a little because the tooth looked like it was made of glass. It almost looked like epoxy because it was so thick. (This could be a common preservation technique for all I know.)

Anyway...today, against my better judgement, I took a razor blade and picked at a spot where the glaze was chipped. Pretty soon I'd worked most of it off (still some glossy spots), and the texture I found underneath was incredible! It actually looks like a tooth now, and I'm really excited about it!! I did my best to be extremely gentle, and the chips shown in the photos were already there.

My questions are...

• Is there a better way I can preserve this tooth without losing the texture? I don't care if it's glossy, just would like the coat to be thinner.
  • Is this actually a sperm whale tooth? It reminds me of the scrimshaw sperm whale teeth if that means anything...haha

Thank you!! Sorry for long post.

Lauren

post-15415-0-30221300-1453872921_thumb.jpg

post-15415-0-41073300-1453872938_thumb.jpg

post-15415-0-32309400-1453872947_thumb.jpg

post-15415-0-55344500-1453873002_thumb.jpg

Edited by Aerodactyl

"I am a part of all that I have met." - Lord Alfred Tennyson

It is a Sperm Whale tooth, obviously old but of the modern species Physeter macrocephalus. You might want to try something like Butvar as a preservative. It can be mixed to various thicknesses for use. I typically use a thin solution which offers maximum penetration and leaves the fossil less glossy than a thicker solution.

• I found this Informative 1

It is a Sperm Whale tooth, obviously old but of the modern species Physeter macrocephalus. You might want to try something like Butvar as a preservative. It can be mixed to various thicknesses for use. I typically use a thin solution which offers maximum penetration and leaves the fossil less glossy than a thicker solution.

Awesome! Thank you very much for the identification, and thanks for the good advice. That's exactly the kind of information I was looking for.

Hey Fossil Claw! I appreciate the good information and the link. I will check this out.

I agree with Physeter - perhaps a Pleistocene specimen. There's a remarkable amount of dental variation within sperm whales, however.

• I found this Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...

Im not usually envious of other folks fossils, but that is a really nice tooth! Great find!

RB

Thanks, RB! I am honored! :)