Gravel Driveway Finds (Marine)

icycatelf

I had heard about people finding fossils in gravel, but I had never had any personal luck with finding them in my driveway until a couple weeks ago when I happened to spot a shell while bending down for something else. Since then, I've included my driveway in my places to look for fossils. Here's what I've got so far!

A. The shell I mentioned above
EzqUwox.jpg

B. Crinoid stems?

vb0WmJ3.jpg

C. Not sure if this is a fossil or not, but the evenly-spaced "pie slices" caught my eye
86OJOmJ.jpg

D. Some kind of shell imprint?
4kn3F5A.jpg

E. A red shell that has seen better times...
X46T3YH.jpg

F. Another shell

Qr8g0kK.jpg

G. Possible coral?
5GdbBDs.jpg

H. Tooth? Shell? Has a pearly shine. Bottom is flat and round.
M8vghRe.jpg

I. Scale-like pattern... Bryozoan?

uNIozQA.jpg

J. Section though a horn coral? (A little hard to see.)
sKqVNhB.jpg

K. My nicest (imo) find

OZguNaK.jpg

I used to look for "flint" in driveway gravel often as a kid, but it only recently struck me that it's sedimentary and can bear fossils.

Casual surface-collector and Pokémon fan. QPn3FY1.gif

All the stuff that looks like A could be bits of brachiopod shell or the side of a rugose coral. Hard to tell because you can only see bits and pieces

The red material is chert, We have all kinds of fossils in our drive way gravel here in LaGrange, it appears to be Silurian. Most of the local quarries around Louisville use the Silurian limestone mostly but could also use Ordovician and Devonian Limestone.

Since childhood I haven't been able to walk down a gravel drive without looking for fossils, incidentally dose anyone know what this is.

post-20441-0-42336300-1454113323_thumb.jpg

I had heard about people finding fossils in gravel, but I had never had any personal luck with finding them in my driveway until a couple weeks ago when I happened to spot a shell while bending down for something else. Since then, I've included my driveway in my places to look for fossils. Here's what I've got so far!

A. The shell I mentioned aboveEzqUwox.jpg

B. Crinoid stems?

vb0WmJ3.jpg

C. Not sure if this is a fossil or not, but the evenly-spaced "pie slices" caught my eye86OJOmJ.jpg

D. Some kind of shell imprint?4kn3F5A.jpg

E. A red shell that has seen better times...X46T3YH.jpg

F. Another shell

Qr8g0kK.jpg

G. Possible coral?5GdbBDs.jpg

H. Tooth? Shell? Has a pearly shine. Bottom is flat and round.M8vghRe.jpg

uNIozQA.jpg

J. Section though a horn coral? (A little hard to see.)sKqVNhB.jpg

K. My nicest (imo) find

OZguNaK.jpg

I used to look for "flint" in driveway gravel often as a kid, but it only recently struck me that it's sedimentary and can bear fossils.

A. The shell I mentioned aboveEzqUwox.jpg

B. Crinoid stems?

vb0WmJ3.jpg

C. Not sure if this is a fossil or not, but the evenly-spaced "pie slices" caught my eye86OJOmJ.jpg

D. Some kind of shell imprint?4kn3F5A.jpg

E. A red shell that has seen better times...X46T3YH.jpg

F. Another shell

Qr8g0kK.jpg

G. Possible coral?5GdbBDs.jpg

H. Tooth? Shell? Has a pearly shine. Bottom is flat and round.M8vghRe.jpg

uNIozQA.jpg

J. Section though a horn coral? (A little hard to see.)sKqVNhB.jpg

K. My nicest (imo) find

OZguNaK.jpg

Cool finds.

B I think is a tabulate coral, maybe favosites

Ah, coral hadn't even crossed my mind for that one. I could see it!

All the stuff that looks like A could be bits of brachiopod shell or the side of a rugose coral. Hard to tell because you can only see bits and pieces

I'm leaning more toward brachipod, but I'll try getting more pics later at different angles to see if that helps.

EDIT: Here's another picture of A (indoor lighting, but I think the shading makes it easier to see the shape)...

zRCoc3r.jpg

The red material is chert, We have all kinds of fossils in our drive way gravel here in LaGrange, it appears to be Silurian. Most of the local quarries around Louisville use the Silurian limestone mostly but could also use Ordovician and Devonian Limestone.

I was going to type that, but I wasn't certain (as a lot of the chert pictures I've seen look more brownish-grey). Just always called it flint growing up.

Hard to say as Pumpkinhead said, but I is,in my opinion, a Bryozoan.

My thoughts as well! My mom found a really detailed bryozoan fossil a month or so back and the side that looked like scales were netting. Figured that may be the case here as well (although it's a different color).

Since childhood I haven't been able to walk down a gravel drive without looking for fossils, incidentally dose anyone know what this is.

attachicon.gif1454113234988-1831214671.jpg

I immediately associate washer-like shapes with crinoid columnals. I've not been in the fossil game for long so I could be wrong, but that's my guess.

Cool finds.

Thanks. :)

J I think may be another example of a Favosites tabulate. Its from a different angle than the other one, but the way it branches out gives me the feeling that it is favosites. I know it doesn't loo very diagnostic of a favosites coral but this is just the gut feeling coming from a guy who has seen and collected hundreds of these fossils in the Silurian rocks where I live. I'll try and get some pictures to show what I mean, and I'll take some pictures of a few of the rugose coral specimens that I've got that can look similar to those possible brachiopod bits you've got there

I spend most of my time walking around with my head down - people think I'm anitsocial or depressed when really I'm just a collector always on the look out for: Lead tire weights, bits of copper, brass, aluminum cans, coins, fossils, crystals, minerals dropped wallets (which I always return), well worn bits of colored glass. My wife has to remind me to keep my eyes on the road not the rock cuts on the sides. Keep your eyes peeled!

“Beautiful is what we see. More beautiful is what we understand. Most beautiful is what we do not comprehend.” N. Steno

attachicon.gif1454113234988-1831214671.jpg

I think what you have here is a coral. Probably Syringopora or something like that

I spend most of my time walking around with my head down - people think I'm anitsocial or depressed when really I'm just a collector always on the look out for: Lead tire weights, bits of copper, brass, aluminum cans, coins, fossils, crystals, minerals dropped wallets (which I always return), well worn bits of colored glass. My wife has to remind me to keep my eyes on the road not the rock cuts on the sides. Keep your eyes peeled!

Same! I think a lot of people on this forum are like that. I'm a terrible driver wherever there's roadcuts

Here is some attached images of fragments of Ordovician rugose corals which kinda sorta can look like shells. You can see why I can hold the opinion that a fossil like A could be either a brachiopod or rugose coral given the fragmentary nature of the fossils

post-14411-0-77803800-1454175035_thumb.jpg

post-14411-0-70556300-1454175077_thumb.jpg

I couldn't find any big chunks of favosites around quickly, so a got a globe of Columnaria and out it upside down. Even though this is a very different genus than Favosites t follows a similar pattern when mounds of it branch outwards. If you look towards the bottom of the fossil in the image provided you should be able to see some lines which represent the path of outward growth of the colony. I know it's not the best photo, I'm a terrible photographer and working on improving that skill. In my opinion a similar pattern can be picked out on J which leads me to believe that it is favosites as well

post-14411-0-61793400-1454176074_thumb.jpg

Here is some attached images of fragments of Ordovician rugose corals which kinda sorta can look like shells. You can see why I can hold the opinion that a fossil like A could be either a brachiopod or rugose coral given the fragmentary nature of the fossils

Oh wow, that first one really does look like a brachiopod! O_O

Picture "I" may be heliolites coral.

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

Archived