Amphibian fossil, Is it genuine?

Slowpoker

Hello!

I've seen the fossil of an amphibian for sale, but due to their rarity and high forgery rate, I wanted a second opinion.

It does look a little odd to me, but I just wanted to make sure.

Thank you!

post-20356-0-02219300-1454194979_thumb.png

post-20356-0-69338500-1454194992_thumb.png

I note that the 'stain' of the soft tissue overlays apparently different layers of the matrix:

post-423-0-99560400-1454195719_thumb.jpg

This causes me to ask "how could that happen to a dead creature in the silt?".

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I note that the 'stain' of the soft tissue overlays apparently different layers of the matrix:

attachicon.gif~.jpg

This causes me to ask "how could that happen to a dead creature in the silt?".

Ah, yes.

Thank you for pointing it out, does this genuinely mean the item is faked, or simply enhanced?

Now that you mention it, either could be the case. I do have a not-so-good feeling about the pose; being on its side, it's not what I am used to seeing.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

This type of soft tissue presevation is pretty common in German Permian amphibians. I see noting to make it a fake at quick internet glance.

Looks real to me. Likely enhanced.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

I think I may actually buy it then, and apply alcohol to reveal any trickery within.

That might not be a good idea. You might damage the actual fossil.

This type of amphibian fossil are commonly enhanced. Personally, I wouldn't mind it being stained, as long as the seller makes it clear.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

That might not be a good idea. You might damage the actual fossil.

This type of amphibian fossil are commonly enhanced. Personally, I wouldn't mind it being stained, as long as the seller makes it clear.

Well the seller said nothing about the staining, so in that case I may pass it up and buy something I know is genuine.

Those Apateon Pedestris came frome Pfalz (Germany), the same now closed site where Paramblypeterus fish came from. They are a very common fossil and I'm pretty sure they are real

I suppose in that case I will take a gamble and get it, since the general consensus is that it's genuine.

Looks like this specimen has had some glue or something added with a brush to give it the outline of an amphibian. Other than that, it looks real.

RB

Archived