Wanted: Concretions with ? for Preperation Practice

DessaRose

I wasnt sure where to post this so I hope its OK here.

Ok, Ok, Ok, OK! I am so excited to have found this forum! I have been reading everything I can about preparing fossils and I have spent the last week under my magnifier lamp until my eyes are crossed with what tools I have (and finding out what ones I still need) and I have succesfully dug out ...a chunk of gravel... a piece of shell... and an unidentified organic "thingie" and I couldnt be more excited! I am so happy to have found you guys!

I was wondering if anyone has any concretions with potential common "treasures" they ould be willing to part with so I can practice. I am not looking for anything in specific or magnificent, just something I can work on fairly easy with basic prep tools that may hold something a bit more exciting than afore mentioned hunk of gravel. I'd be willing to pay or, if anyone is interested in trading for some highly uninteresting baculites. :) I have attached some examples (Kitten for size reference only... not for trade.... well... depending on the day)

post-20578-0-68571500-1454196957_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum, I believe this post should be placed in the trades section, since it is essentially a wanted Ad.

Hi DR...

From seeing the fossils you have shown us, there ought to be concretions to play with out there in your favorite fossil spot... where that really nice ammonite came from. If you are finding baculites, loo around for concretions with baculites in them.

LOL! But my favorite hunting ground is covered in snow right now! :( And I want to dremel the heck out of something RIGHT NOW! LOL :D

And Im not really sure what to look for in concretions yet... I did pick up these 3, I think there is potential but Id have no idea where to start?? I was hoping for some straight forward examples that I could dink with first that are pretty beginner friendly.

post-20578-0-67138400-1454204923_thumb.jpg

I almost mentioned that in my post.. about the snow,cuz we sure have it up here too.

A couple things...

1) Most concretions are empty. My rule, if I don't see anything sticking out, of one edge or another I tap it gently with a hammer to see if there is anything in there. gently is good. If you hit it too hard, you get too many pieces flying too far and you may never put it backtogether. There are certain sites where my empty concretions rule is not true. I have a friend in the Pacific NW who can tell if there is a crab in a concretion mainly by the shape. Mr, I still have to bust them to find the crab. Here in our local Pierre Shale, I will say most are empty.

2) Pierre Shale concretions are very hard. If there was something in there, it would take a lot of Dremeling... maybe even burn out your Dremel. Air scribes (look up PaleoTools) are the best for this work. I know people do it on some fossils, but I do not see how a Dremel will separate the shell from the rock in a Pierre Shale conc.

Welcome to the forum, I believe this post should be placed in the trades section, since it is essentially a wanted Ad.

Dessa, your topic has been moved and the duplicate removed. ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Well dang it! They just looked so... suspect... sitting there in the pretty dark gray gravel.... Well I guess I have to adopt a new stratagy. OH and hahahaha! Pierre Shale Concretions hard? Hahaha....

So Ive also been using an electric engraver as part of my tools, what makes an air scribe better?

An air scribe will run forever compared to the electric, and it vibrates a lot less and you can replace and sharpen the ips easier. But your electric is a good place to start.

• 3 weeks later...

What's in the conceptions from Fox Hills? Got me interested too now since I'm looking for pieces to try and prep also!

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

Archived