Metophioceras or two....

Terry Dactyll

Amazing Work, as always, Steve!

Thanks for bringing us on these journeys.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I do the exact same thing when I want to cut a base for some fossil in rock. Lookin good.

RB

Thanks Guys....RJB.... I must be doing something right then.... I suppose I'm trying to document things we just take for granted really.... If your starting out prepping this kind of stuff, its just tips you dont hear or see anywhere documented...

I found another 2 hours....I continued towards the centre and the shell changed from visible to almost invisible.... its as though the shell had dissolved away but only after the shell had fossilised full of sediment... as I skimmed down to uncover the tops of the ribs the shell was filled with a dark sediment and the gaps inbetween the ribs were infilled with light blue sediment... so it was possible to distinguish between the two and was a slow process with the arro pen....I wonder if this dissolving of the very thin shell is a common occurence or perhaps it fractures under pressure if not completely filled with fine sediment....

post-1630-0-15036400-1462822093_thumb.jpg

I also ground the worked rock smooth and also hollowed out the mouth a lot more to make it more defined and visually appealing... Its touches like this you dont always get when your paying for work done but for yourself, time is irrelevant as you work away so you can go as far as you want with it....

post-1630-0-81085000-1462822104_thumb.jpg

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Thanks Tarquin...

Roger.... Shrtly your right but I plan to chase the keel out first from about 25 past back anticlockwise back to 5 to as its stood up....It will take a while but hey...Who is counting ....

Yes, that would complete the picture. Removing some matrix from that side as well and bringing it down to par with the left side?

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Roger... Not quite... Its not stood up in that photo... I will be taking more rock from the top anti clockwise to the mouth in that view... The rock on the right is the matrix base...

• 2 weeks later...

I managed an hours prep last night and chased the keel round.... It was worth doing it has quite an impressive Keel this ammonite form.... Pretty big.... Mostly its intact apart from nr the mouth where its naturally worn away at somepoint....

post-1630-0-74104900-1463720013_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

RJB...Thanks.... I cant wait to finish it but gardening seems to be getting in the way.... It shouldnt be long now...

• 1 month later...

I finally finished the 2nd metophioceras..... Compared to the first there is some crushing on the inner whorls which is very common on these shells from the Somerset Coast, making me value the first specimen even more.... Secondly, sometime during the fossilisation process there has been some geological movement making the shell appear more 'eliptical' than the first... I have noticed this on other Somerset shells and also on some Lyme regis ammonite pavements specimens I have prepped.... The colours of the calcite are golden browns to dark browns with a pyritic golden glow here and there although in the sun whilst I was photographing them together there are some beautiful deep reds too on the 2nd whorls.... I dont know if these are visible on the photos... The 2nd shell is 14 1/2 Inches across which is a tad smaller than the first at 15 inch.... They were well worth collecting and prepping even though I wasnt sure of the quality of preservation from the outset bu, both have turned into great additions for the collection....The partial ammonite fragment also adds to the piece... I'm pretty chuffed with the outcome....

post-1630-0-11838000-1467658974_thumb.jpg

post-1630-0-20431600-1467658991_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

WOW.

What a great job!!!!!

Congrats.

Welsh Wizard,

Good luck this wednesday, rooting for the dragons against Portugal

Thanks.... With the big Somerset Coroniceras and those two, have already made my year.... Anything else I find will be a bonus....Not sure what to prep next whilst I'm waiting for inspiration....

• I found this Informative 1

Ditto what everyone else has said, a beautiful pair. :)

Edited by TqB

Tarquin

John.... Thanks for your interest.... I do try to do them some justice but it can take many hours... :thumbsu:

Tarquin.... Thanks... Hope your keeping well and finding some goodies.... :)