Is this a real trilobite fossil

MarielleK

Have you bought shale from U-Dig Fossils before? I'm interested in that now.

I received a shipment of the shale last year. If you leave it outside for a little while, it may become easier to separate, but will also start to fracture on its own natural lines; which may or may not be what you want. Not sure about your Chicago weather and the shale's reaction to freezing. I worked with a medium weight rock hammer (chisel end) and a slender V-ground metal shim. It is not hard to separate the material, but it is a snarge shoot as to how it splits and what is there. With practice you can split fairly thin plates. I currently have an outdoor table covered with the left over scraps. It continues to weather and I occasionally pass by and pry the small pieces apart with my fingers - small trilobite are sometimes uncovered. I found, as expected, Elrathia in various sizes. For display I wanted the 'bites to stay on the slab; but they had an annoying tendency to come off after they were split out. I simply glued several back on the rock. I has fun doing it and since I had no plan of Utah travel, it was a way to get a small taste of the quarry experience. Flexible gloves are nice and eye protection is a must. I did not throw any chips in a dangerous way; but when whacking on stone material that flakes, safety is important. I did cut the fingertip off of a glove with the metal shim - better than a fingertip. I didn't even realize that I had done it. Good luck, have fun.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Ok so how about this Metacanthina I was looking at? It is about $50. I found some less restored ones but they were a bit more pricy...

post-20600-0-08595600-1454543767_thumb.jpeg

For display, I personally prefer the character of the first one, though as a representative specimen the second is a stunner!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The first one has some unattractive restorations, notice the glue. I think some dripped on the matrix.

post-20600-0-88913900-1454545712_thumb.jpeg

post-20600-0-71162300-1454545818_thumb.jpeg

Both nice specimens, the repair on the first one notwithstanding. As a collector of modest means I often approach say two items that might be divergent in cost, but setting aside the price I ask myself which appeals to me the most. If the item that has the greater appeal is the pricier of the two, which is often the case, but still affordable I'll choose that item. Sometimes the less expensive item has the greater appeal. The one thing I never consider when approaching any collectible is investment potential. I think intellectual and emotional appeal along with one's financial boundaries should be the governing force behind the formation of any collection. Just my opinion :)

If I was to purchise the first one, is it possible to cover up or remove the glue on the matrix?

Good question. It depends on the nature of the adhesive. Some glues are water soluble others can be a bit trickier to deal with. I know acetone is sometimes recommended in glue removal as it pertains to fossils but I must defer to the greater knowledge of the more experienced fossil collectors on this forum. If you do not get a response via this thread I would start a new thread regarding glue removal on your prospective purchase. Good luck!

If I was to purchise the first one, is it possible to cover up or remove the glue on the matrix?

You can use a debonder to wipe off the excess glue. You only need a little bit on a cotton swab and gently dab on the area and it should come off. I just used paleobond's debonder and adhesive for the first time and it worked perfectly. They also have instructions on their website.

Edited by Runner64

Have you bought shale from U-Dig Fossils before? I'm interested in that now.

I recently got a box of shale as a birthday present. So far I've found at least 3 dozen trilobites and pieces ranging from 1mm to over an inch. Nearly all of them have been agnostids and elrathia including a combo piece with a >1 inch elrathia and half inch agnostid. I think it was definitely worth it to buy the shale. Only later did find out I would actually be visiting Utah this summer if anyone has any other suggestions.