Interesting coral - Morocco

GeschWhat

Thanks. It all helps a little. 

I think i'll just call it " Nice Coral Disc" Cretaceous or Eocene for now! :wacko:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

To GeschWhat.

This would be an amateur preparation. It implies the destruction of the specimen as a collector's item but it allows us to see the interiorities of it.
It's long and tired but simple, you just have to sand a specimen.

DSCN9391.JPG

DSCN9404.JPG

DSCN9442.JPG

DSCN9415.JPG

DSCN9418.JPG

DSCN9420.JPG

DSCN9422.JPG

DSCN9435.JPG

DSCN9439.JPG 

It shows six cycles of septa compact. Large trabeculae. Septa of younger cycles are short and was conected to the septa of preceding ones.Lateral face of septa with granules. Septa thinner towards the center. Synapticulae absent.

You've done a very nice job, Pachy, with few resources. Congrats.

It seems to me that some septa seem to get thicker in some places along the way towards the centre, not thinner. 

Pierrette

There is a septum with an abnormal bulge, yes. But, if you observe it, it becomes thinner towards the center. I don´t know what is due.

Before continuing, take a photograph of the complete specimen to see how it goes.

In principle it seems that there are perforations in the septa and some synapticulae.

1 hour ago, Pachy said:

Before continuing, take a photograph of the complete specimen to see how it goes.

In principle it seems that there are perforations in the septa and some synapticulae.

Forget this. I thought you had dropped more and that you was leaving the specimen flat.

You is not doing well. It's not about wearing down the issue it's about getting a flat surface.

Yes. Now you are doing it well.
It is important that you get a good final fine polish.
Yes, microimages will be necessary when you finish. A good image of the complete specimen and details, as I have done.

3 hours ago, pierrette said:

You've done a very nice job, Pachy, with few resources. Congrats.

It seems to me that some septa seem to get thicker in some places along the way towards the centre, not thinner. 

I have been looking at those thickening in the septa and they are not at all abnormal. It occur in the joints of one septum with another.

3 minutes ago, Pachy said:

I have been looking at those thickening in the septa and they are not at all abnormal. It occur in the joints of one septum with another.

Yes, I've also been looking into it and I agree. Thank you.

Pierrette

Please be aware that there exist a lot of cyclolitid and discoid coral genera that look alike but belong to different families. This type of coral was a common strategy to survice on muddy surfaces. Therefore, it is not possible to give an opinion without having at least sections in both directions.

The Cretaceous material shown here by Tidgy's Dad could belong to Pseudocunnolites Reig, 1988 that is indeed a member of the Fungiidae. The genus is revised (Batalleria 22, 2015; PDF on request).

Cunnolites is a synonym of Cylolites. It is true, that Cyclolites is not as flat as most material shown here, but there is a genus Paracunnolites Beauvais, 1964 from the Santonian of Austria that probably belongs to the Cyclolitidae. I cannot comment on this because I know only the type of the type species (Fungia humilis Quenstedt, 1880) but no other material (although I have seen some material from that area), so questionable distribution.

Funginella is another problem; the type material could be anything; it is not sectioned.

Cycloseris is clearly a Fungiid coral that does very probably not occur in the Cretaceous.

@HansTheLoser would you be able to tell anything if I sectioned the specimen that I have already ground down to a flat surface or would I need to start with a new specimen? I ask because I have ground down and polished the only specimen I have remaining. If I can use the same piece, where would you need it sectioned?

44 minutes ago, HansTheLoser said:

Please be aware that there exist a lot of cyclolitid and discoid coral genera that look alike but belong to different families. This type of coral was a common strategy to survice on muddy surfaces. Therefore, it is not possible to give an opinion without having at least sections in both directions.

The Cretaceous material shown here by Tidgy's Dad could belong to Pseudocunnolites Reig, 1988 that is indeed a member of the Fungiidae. The genus is revised (Batalleria 22, 2015; PDF on request).

Cunnolites is a synonym of Cylolites. It is true, that Cyclolites is not as flat as most material shown here, but there is a genus Paracunnolites Beauvais, 1964 from the Santonian of Austria that probably belongs to the Cyclolitidae. I cannot comment on this because I know only the type of the type species (Fungia humilis Quenstedt, 1880) but no other material (although I have seen some material from that area), so questionable distribution.

Funginella is another problem; the type material could be anything; it is not sectioned.

Cycloseris is clearly a Fungiid coral that does very probably not occur in the Cretaceous.

Thank you so much, this is very helpful. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

44 minutes ago, GeschWhat said:

@HansTheLoser would you be able to tell anything if I sectioned the specimen that I have already ground down to a flat surface or would I need to start with a new specimen? I ask because I have ground down and polished the only specimen I have remaining. If I can use the same piece, where would you need it sectioned?

Please, finish preparing that polishing before cutting the sample.

Maybe it will not tell us exactly what genus it is but I think it will rule out Funginellastraea and Eocene. Then you can cut it or do what interests you but we'll have the matter at least.

On 9/11/2017 at 11:23 PM, Pachy said:

Cyclastraea or Funginellastraea. Cyclastraeidae in any case for me.

On 12/11/2017 at 7:36 PM, HansTheLoser said:

Agree with Pachy, but I would rule out Cyclastraea (Cenomanian). Nothing to do with Cyclolites and nothing with Cretaceous. Probably Eocene.

Corals must be sectionned in order to put a name on them.

Funginellastraea is very probable.

1 hour ago, HansTheLoser said:

Archived