Theisen Quarry

jgcox

We are heading out the last week of March our first stop will of course be Black Cat Mountain.

We have heard about another quarry near there named the Theisen quarry. Does anyone have any info and a contact E-mail for this quarry? What is their fees and is it worth a couple of days?

Here you go, Jim. :)

LINK

Regards,

Apparently not.

You could try messaging TNGray, to see if he has any other contact information.

Regards,

• 5 months later...

I spoke with the owner today, Leon Theisen. He admitted he doesn't do computers/internet, so the only means of contact is the phone number listed on his webiste: http://www.oklahomatrilobites.com/

I plan to be driving through this area the end of this month, August, and am planning a couple of day stops to do some fossil hunting, and thought this site looked like the perfect place for an novice/amateur like myself to stop. I was a little taken aback the pricing of $200.00/person/day with a cap on the valued amount you can carry out (of $500.00) and realize now this will not be one of my stops.

This is the first fossil type quarry I've contacted for information. Can anyone tell me if this is typical pricing for pay to hunt fossil sites in Oklahoma? Any suggestions on sites I can look into that may be kinder to my pocketbook?

I've been rockhounding for years, and do some pay to dig sites, and find those prices to be in the $10.00-$25.00 and they always yield great finds with no cap on what you can carry out.

I appreciate any assistance and insight!

Janice

Edited by tabbygreye
  • I found this Informative 1
Fossildude19

Hey Janice -

You might try contacting Bob Carroll at Black Cat Mountain Trilobites.

I don't know what he charges, but I know members here have hunted with him.

Regards,

I spoke with the owner today, Leon Theisen. He admitted he doesn't do computers/internet, so the only means of contact is the phone number listed on his webiste: http://www.oklahomatrilobites.com/

I plan to be driving through this area the end of this month, August, and am planning a couple of day stops to do some fossil hunting, and thought this site looked like the perfect place for an novice/amateur like myself to stop. I was a little taken aback the pricing of $200.00/person/day with a cap on the valued amount you can carry out (of $500.00) and realize now this will not be one of my stops.

This is the first fossil type quarry I've contacted for information. Can anyone tell me if this is typical pricing for pay to hunt fossil sites in Oklahoma? Any suggestions on sites I can look into that may be kinder to my pocketbook?

I've been rockhounding for years, and do some pay to dig sites, and find those prices to be in the $10.00-$25.00 and they always yield great finds with no cap on what you can carry out.

Janice

I had planned to hunt with Leon a bit earlier this summer, but due to car issues we ended up collecting his Ordovician quarry in Ardmore. He is very knowledgeable and generous with values; the $500 cap is based on the unprepared value of the pieces, and you will have him as a guide for the day.

The price is fairly steep, although there are sites like Lang's Quarry in NY that charge more. Bob Carroll doesn't charge, but is challenging to get ahold of; if you email Donna Russell at Geological Enterprises she might be able to get you in contact with him. I'm sure purchasing a few prepared pieces from him wouldn't hurt, but their quality is matched by their price :P.

As a side note, southern Oklahoma nudges 100 F in August pretty regularly coupled with bouts of high humidity, so make sure to bring plenty of water and know that your hunt probably won't be an eight-hour day.

• I found this Informative 2

Thank you Reese for the information.

I have sent an email to Bob Carroll, and also found info for a location called White Mound and have sent an email of inquiry to them as well. As I've not heard back from either, I will follow your lead and reach out to Donna Russell.
If I come up empty handed re: reaching out to those two places, then I'll just wing it and explore some of those red dirt roads and let come what may!

I realize that being able to search in an area that guarantees finds with one on one support and guidance of an expert would be an awesome experience as would be the case with Theisen's Quarry! I just don't have the financial means to do so. My husband has been indulgent in allowing me to, over the years, have my rockhounding adventures, and is agreeable with my upcoming plans to give fossil hunting a try, but, as he is frugal, that indulgence comes with the understanding that I'm doing so on a shoestring budget. He would certainly not give me his blessing, and more importantly, would not allow me to use his truck, if I don't keep my financial expenditure footprint very small on my adventures! ;) It's even understood, unless I'm with a group of people sharing a motel room cost, my sleeping/eating arrangements are done camping or road side rest-stop style.

I have a pretty good idea what I'm getting myself into regarding temps and humidity. I've been living in the Houston, Tx area for about 17 yrs now, and prior to that, lived for a few years in OKC, (although I wasn't actively hounding back in those days). Earlier this summer I handled a 4 day rockhounding trip to the Terlingua Ranch area in SW TX. That was an experience in not only working in the heat, but trying to figure out how maintain my vision quality regarding the sun reflection off the desert sands and the wind! I suspect that could be a bit of an issue on a sunny/windy day in Southern Oklahoma as well! I will be certain to keep myself well hydrated, and have plenty of bandannas for wiping the sweat from my brow!

Again, thanks for the suggestion on reaching out to Donna Russell!

Janice

Thank you Reese for the information.

I have sent an email to Bob Carroll, and also found info for a location called White Mound and have sent an email of inquiry to them as well. As I've not heard back from either, I will follow your lead and reach out to Donna Russell.

If I come up empty handed re: reaching out to those two places, then I'll just wing it and explore some of those red dirt roads and let come what may!

I hope that you hear back from Donna! I have heard that White Mound is not very productive, but is much cheaper (something along the lines of $30 base + $5 per person, I believe).

If you don't have any luck for trilobites, I recommend swinging a bit further south and checking out the area around Lake Texoma for ammonites.

If you don't have any luck for trilobites, I recommend swinging a bit further south and checking out the area around Lake Texoma for ammonites.

I'm one step ahead of you!

I'll actually be stopping at Lake Texoma before I head into Oklahoma. My back-up plan B, if the water level is too high at Texoma to access the beaches is to go to Post Oak Creek in Sherman.

No matter how this all plays out, I know it's going to be a fun and memorable adventure!

• 1 year later...

I know this post was a while back, but I’d like to hear how that trilobite trip turned out. I’m heading up to OK for fossil hunting on Thursday. I’d like any tips or hints you may have.

• 2 weeks later...
tabbygreye

My apologies Kim that I didn't see your email sooner. I only found one trilobite, walking a county road in Pontotoc County.  It wasn't the best specimen, in fact, it was flat as a pancake, very weathered.  But, it was my very first trilobite find! 

I also did some road cut searching just west of Sand Springs in Tulsa County. I did not outright find any trilobites, found a lot of Crinoid bits. 

I brought home a couple of stone slabs from both areas that had some marine fossils peeking out of the surface/edges.  My thought is that there could be a trilobite contained within. I just haven't given thought as to best  way to get to the interior without damaging anything. 

At both of these locals, and some other roadside stops I found some pretty neat orange calcite specimens!  

I hope you found your Oklahoma trip fruitful and fun!

• 1 year later...
rachelgardner01
On 8/2/2016 at 6:09 PM, tabbygreye said:

Janice

Does anyone know if the phone number is still the correct one?  It rings but I haven't gotten ahold of anyone yet.