Macraster - before and after

lcordova

Hi,

Well, for a year now I´ve been taking my first steps in the prep hobby, using the airscribe and the minijack at the Houston Gem and Mineral Society... always working with Ammos with somewhat mixed results for a newbie...Never ventured with echionids until now... reading some posts here gave me the courage to work on my echies....

This Macraster I washed it in water, brushed it... after that I gave her some vinegar treatment, thoroughly washed after each session and being left in water... after that the airscribe.... then more vinegar and water... and then more airscribe...

Yes, now I know its better to not use tht extensively the vinegar, but well, learning has a price.. either way, I like it.... :)

post-15821-0-55132100-1454635341_thumb.jpg

post-15821-0-14823400-1454635477_thumb.jpg

Prepwork is a big step from casual collecting, and really shows that you are all-in on the endeavor.

Congratulations! :fistbump:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Kris,

I cant complaint since I´ve never done it, but I think I left it too much time, It´s not as "brown" as it was, the matrix seems a little bit whitened. But like I said, since I´m learning, I cant complaint.

Ron,

When I see how you prep those pierre shale ammos, I ´m green with envy...LOL

It will bleach out the limestone if left to soak. There's a fine line between not enough and too much time in the acid bath. It takes a lot of practice to know where that line is. I usually scribe as much as possible then use vinegar to remove the stubborn bits that remain. Or, I'll hit the whole thing with some micro-abrasive to finish it off.