San Fran Fossil Sand Dollars

Pterodactyl

Hey all. I heard you could find some really nice fossilized sand dollars in or near San-Francisco. Does anyone know where the site might be?

"Welcome...To Jurassic Park!" -Richard Attenborough

They are in the Pliocene/Pleistocene Merced Formation in Daly City which is just south of San Francisco. Look in the sea cliffs from John Daly Blvd. on the north to about 1 mile to the south. There are lots of shells and some pinecones. Avoid high tide, watch for waves and landslides. See this publication for more info.http://www.geologictrips.com/sf/sfttff.pdf

sfttff.pdf

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

• 1 year later...
On February 4, 2016 at 6:35 PM, DPS Ammonite said:

They are in the Pliocene/Pleistocene Merced Formation in Daly City which is just south of San Francisco. Look in the sea cliffs from John Daly Blvd. on the north to about 1 mile to the south. There are lots of shells and some pinecones. Avoid high tide, watch for waves and landslides. See this publication for more info.http://www.geologictrips.com/sf/sfttff.pdf

sfttff.pdf

Yes, that fits with what an old lapidary guy told me years ago.  He said there was an area where Sloat ended.  However, the sand dollars are difficult to clean because it's hard to see where the rock ends and the sand dollar surface begins.  Like other prep people of the time, he take home chunks with sand dollars showing on the side and grind down to about the surface and then polish the surface.  I assume he applied a hardener to keep the sand dollar from cracking/chipping.  I remember seeing the polished ones from time to time at shows - haven't seen one in a while.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived