Sign in to follow this  
Kenny151

Would like to get out this weekend for my first hunt!

Kenny151

Hello!

I am brand new to Albuquerque, NM. Here for grad school and I'm looking to take a day away from studying this weekend to enjoy some nature and perhaps find some fossils! I would love some suggestions on where to go to look or perhaps someone would like to hunt together. I've read most of the posts here but it would be nice to know a very specific place to go look as I don't wanna go trespassing on land where I don't belong.

Thanks!

PFOOLEY

Hiking trails at Otero canyon...a few miles down "South 14" (called something else now) out of Tijeras...Pennsylvanian age fossils...

...and nature. :)

Edited by PFOOLEY

Kenny151

Hiking trails at Otero canyon...a few miles down "South 14" (called something else now) out of Tijeras...Mississippian age fossils...

...and nature. :)

Hey, thank you! Checked it out on the web and I'm getting ready to go out and look. I've got my Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Fossils. Just gonna go out and see if I can find anything. :)

Kenny151

I took PFOOLEY's advice and went hunting in Otero Canyon today. Very beautiful place. Found a lot of neat stuff right at the entrance where there was an outcrop. I searched the fallen rocks and climbed up to the actual source itself. Here's some pictures. I'm sure these are all extremely common throw away pieces for most but they are my first experience with fossils and are treasures to me!

Not quite sure what this is. It is a cylindrical piece that has this pattern all the way around as well as on the "top" and "bottom" of the cylinder. The wishful thinker in me is hoping its a stem of some sort.

1Nv4BbW.jpg

Very first rock I picked up on the trip. Pretty exciting as I was unsure if I would find any evidence of fossils at all!

jmxecVg.jpg

One little clam shaped fossil I managed to wiggle out of the shale and another still embedded.

HQLSaXr.jpg

Snail shaped fossils. Hard to tell from the picture. They're also not totally obviously fossils but I am confident they are some sort of fossilized shell.

BWXAInG.jpg

Little clam shape in some rock.

istPiwH.jpg

Not sure about this! Looks like the imprint of some sort of plant life?

Y9AJkdA.jpg

Same for this guy. I found it together with the above picture.

bkOpUxC.jpg

Cool shells in rock. Reminds me of the (not fossilized) shells back home in Florida.

HQqqz52.jpg

XClPdKM.jpg

Couldn't take these as they were in the large rock formation itself.

ay150fN.jpg

sxupujV.jpg

And this was a real treat for the trip. Walking off the trail a bit towards the rock I found this painting. I have tried to find sources or information online and could only find one photographer's website that had a picture of it. From her site I can tell that it has been here since at least the 1980s. I do not know how old it is beyond that but I want to say it is really old. I'm gonna call the local ranger station Monday and ask!

gu7AK4E.jpg

PFOOLEY

Nice work...glad you found it and had some fun. That is quite a pretty place in late spring.