Another tooth, suspected bovine?

Wes

New here and I'll maintain my account for river and creek finds. I do find small fossilized bones hunting creeks and rivers for flint tools. I assume this to be cattle related? I'm no dentist...

Very happy with the find. Google searches go 200 miles in every direction so I signed on here.

Far from my first and far from my last fossil. I just want to know what it is. I assumed bison or modern cow. it's petrified, shows some serious use. I like it!

True ID would be great! I search for stone tools, I know nothing of fossils and bones. Thanks for your time!

I can reduces size and quality to remove / add more pics. Just curious what this critter is? Assistance appreciated! Can remove these and add other angles, guessing this is an easy one?

And again, thanks!

post-20615-0-75014700-1454657520_thumb.jpg

post-20615-0-75746900-1454657663_thumb.jpg

I think you're correct, either cow or bison. : ) good luck out there!

• I found this Informative 1

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Welcome to the Forum! :)
For me looks like a Bison molar (M1,or M2), showing wear on the occlusal surface, the worn stylid is past the point of being a loop.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

No doubt bovid. Cow or bison, but I'd lean toward cow (which means it is not a fossil, even if mineralized). Seems too gracile to be bison. Just my opinion.

post-42-0-79258500-1454698988_thumb.jpg post-42-0-48982600-1454699080_thumb.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Thanks folks!

Regarding size it's 2" in length by 1" wide and roughly 1/2" in depth. Regardless it is an interesting piece for my collection of "things". Huge gravel bar right down the street to explore sometime soon...I'd love to stumble onto something larger!

I have an almost identical molar, patina and all, which I would usually suspect to be cow except it was found along a beach on a barrier island off the north eastern coast of Florida among a significant amount of fossil horse teeth and bone fragments. This is a case where I felt context should factor into the identification. Therefore I keep it with my bison teeth until otherwise proven to be bovine.

I have an almost identical molar, patina and all, which I would usually suspect to be cow except it was found along a beach on a barrier island off the north eastern coast of Florida among a significant amount of fossil horse teeth and bone fragments. This is a case where I felt context should factor into the identification. Therefore I keep it with my bison teeth until otherwise proven to be bovine.

Horses and cows are contemporaneous, not to mention pigs, since the 1600s in NE Florida.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

I know horses and cows have lived contemporaneous. However, the horses who left their bones along that shore never saw a cow, that's for sure. It's conceivable a cow tooth got mixed in a fossil bed, but just conceivable. Whether it happened I really don't know but my point was that sometimes the context in which a fossil is found can bear on it's identification. It's circumstantial evidence, wouldn't hold up in fossil court but something to think about anyway.

Horses and cows are contemporaneous, not to mention pigs, since the 1600s in NE Florida.

Edited by jpevahouse

Weren't some of the larger barrier islands of Florida used for pasturing cattle in historic times?

Those of the Texas Gulf Coast certainly were.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!