I have been researching a fossil "Anomalocaris sp" from the Wheeler Shale. Its from a collector who thought it was his "worst" Anomalocaris fossil and he was clearing his collection to make room for more. I collect Anomalocaridids so bought it from him for less than a $100.

I thought the feeding appendage was a little strange as it was so straight, the spines were strange and small, and I couldn't see the podomeres (segments). I love the papers from Dr Allison Daley of Oxford who is an expert on Anomalocaridids and in a paper "New Anomalocaridid appendages from the Burgess Shale, Canada", (A.C. Daley & G.E. Budd, Palaeontology vol53, part 4, pp 721-738, 2009) I read about a very rare and enigmatic Anomalocaridid, the Caryosyntrips serratus. Only 11 or so specimens of this critter have been found and all at Burgess.

I realized I was looking at my "anomalous" Wheeler Shale Anomalocaris. But how can this be? The Caryosyntrips has never been found outside of Burgess. Wheeler is also substantially younger. I was sufficiently convinced that I sent an email to Dr Allison Daley and she responded quite fast.

She's very excited about this fossil! She also believes it to be a Caryosyntrips serratus and couldn't believe I have one from Wheeler Shale! The greatly increases the temporal and geographic range of this genus and is very important to study. She is writing a new paper on the Anomalocaridids of the US and this is a massive new discovery which will feature in her paper. Of course, I am sending her the fossil to study.

After that she recommends I donate it to the Museum of my choice, and suggested the Smithsonian as they already have a large Wheeler Shale collection. Being an Aussie, I'd love it to end up at an Aussie museum, but this Caryosyntrips was "born in the USA" so I believe that's where it belongs. So the Smithsonian it is.

Great lesson to everyone on researching your fossils! Sometimes a seemingly impossible fossil can actually be a new discovery. And communicate with the experts, this fossil could have ended up in a private collection as a "low quality Anomalocaris sp." Finally, I could sell this for a huge price to a private collector, but its much better off being studied and residing in a Museum. That's where it belongs.

On Monday I will send the fossil off to Oxford for Dr Daley to study. Can't wait to read her new paper!

post-20038-0-32036600-1454735604_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 9

"That belongs in a museum!"

- Indiana Jones

Close up of the feeding appendage. Pity the terminal end is slightly damaged.

post-20038-0-50019400-1454735699_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

- Indiana Jones

That is so neat!!! Really neat fossils from the U.S. always seem to make their way to Aus :P

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

That is so neat!!! Really neat fossils from the U.S. always seem to make their way to Aus :P

Yup, this fossil is a real jetsetter! US- Australia. Australia- UK. UK- US. :) Almost like a boomerang.

- Indiana Jones

Three cheers for you and the new Cambrian thingy. Pretty darn exciting.

Hahaha! Thanx! This critter is very newly discovered and could be called a "thingy". Until we find more than 11 fossils! Well, 12 now. ;) What is needed is a complete critter. But that took a while with the ol Anomalocaris so I'm not holding my breath.

- Indiana Jones

That is really exciting! The only question I have is do you have substantial and unequivocal proof that the fossil is really from the Wheeler Shale?

• I found this Informative 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

That is really exciting! The only question I have is do you have substantial and unequivocal proof that the fossil is really from the Wheeler Shale?

I have shown the fossil to several experts to confirm its from Wheeler Shale, because I didn't want an illegal fossil. They all confirmed its legit and found the "Anomalocaris" as "bad quality" due to the strange shape. There is also a trilobite pygidium on the plate, which may help with ID. Dr Daley also was sure its Wheeler. Thomas Kapitany from Australia also confirmed its WS. He is an expert on identifying fossils, rocks and minerals.

The guy I bought it from has many Wheeler Shale fossils and buys them from a reputable WS dealer. Somehow I doubt a Burgess Anomalocaridid would slip into the market for less than $100.

Edited by ElToro

- Indiana Jones

I have shown the fossil to several experts to confirm its from Wheeler Shale, because I didn't want an illegal fossil. They all confirmed its legit and found the "Anomalocaris" as "bad quality" due to the strange shape. There is also a trilobite pygidium on the plate, which may help with ID. Dr Daley also was sure its Wheeler. Thomas Kapitany from Australia also confirmed its WS. He is an expert on identifying fossils, rocks and minerals.

The guy I bought it from has many Wheeler Shale fossils and buys them from a reputable WS dealer. Somehow I doubt a Burgess Anomalocaridid would slip into the market for less than $100.

Sounds very good!

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Excellent detective work!

Congratulations, and well done on the donation.

Way to go, El Toro. :)

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Excellent detective work!

Congratulations, and well done on the donation.

Way to go, El Toro. :)

Regards,

Thanx mate! Next time I'm the US, I hope I get a behind the scenes tour of the Smithsonian!

- Indiana Jones

As a collector of Wheeler shale I'm gonna say I'm very jealous! :P

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

Good for you bud,

Don't forget your mates when you get the behind the scenes trip to the Smithsonian :P

Seriously, great detective work.

It's a lazy man that can't find his wife a second job!

Good for you bud,

Don't forget your mates when you get the behind the scenes trip to the Smithsonian :P

Seriously, great detective work.

of course I won't forget my mates! I'll send lots of pics. Lol! B)

- Indiana Jones

Thanks guys! This has really got me excited. The Cambrian Explosion had SO much super cool stuff and we have only just scratched the surface! You just never know what will be dug up tomorrow.

The Caryosyntrips had 2 appendages that acted like nutcrackers (the name means "nut cracker") in a scissor action. I presume these were used to crack through trilobite carapaces. Truly an awesome critter! Completely different method of predation to Anomalocaris. I wouldn't want to be a trilobite when one of these swam by at lunchtime. They may survive an Anomalocaris attack with just a chunck missing, but there is no surviving the Nut Cracker.

- Indiana Jones

^ That's a little morbid..

Congrats, this is exciting stuff!

Burgess fossils can turn up in odd places unrecognized - I should know...

(Not suggesting yours is Burgess, it looks like Wheeler to me too)

^ That's a little morbid..

Congrats, this is exciting stuff!

Burgess fossils can turn up in odd places unrecognized - I should know...

(Not suggesting yours is Burgess, it looks like Wheeler to me too)

Yea, I thought could be Burgess. That's why I did a good check before I bought it. And I don't think a Burgess Anomalocaris fossil would be sold as a poor quality Wheeler Anomalocaris for such a cheap price. A Burgess Anomalocaris is worth a fortune! The only Burgess stuff I've seen is at our local Museum and they havnt got an Anomalocaris.

- Indiana Jones

• 3 weeks later...

How do I nominate this man for PaleoPartner award!? :D

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

How do I nominate this man for PaleoPartner award!? :D

The award is self-nominating; all ElToro has to do is post the details of his donation (once completed) to the "Partners' Gallery" LINK

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!