Micro Fish Mouthplate ID

Frightmares

Hey guys. I'm new to microfossils. I purchased some Peace River matrix and am finding all sorts of interesting things. Among them was this fish mouthplate, and I was wondering what kind of fish it could be from. Puffer, maybe? I will be posting pictures with scales of some of the other micros I've found so far, as well. There's a couple tiny shark teeth I found too, if anyone knows species.

post-19589-0-67483800-1454863548_thumb.jpg

post-19589-0-74332000-1454863593_thumb.jpg

post-19589-0-46961500-1454863595_thumb.jpg

Edited by Frightmares

I think you're right on the mouthplate. It looks like Diodon to me (partial / fragment)

i agree : )

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Agree on the Diodon (pufferfish) tooth plate--these are relatively common and interesting when you get a mostly complete specimen with the overlapping plates and row of teeth along the curved edge. Do an internet image search for "diodon fossil" and you'll see lots of examples.

The first (worn) shark tooth may be from a Lemon Shark. The second shark tooth is likely from a species of sharpnose shark (Rhizoprionodon sp.). Most of these sharks are small (less than a meter) and so they are common tiny teeth to find when searching micro-matrix. An internet image search for "Rhizoprionodon fossil" will show many examples matching yours. Tricky to find information about an unknown fossil on the internet but easy to find lots of photos once you have a name to search.

Sorting through micro-matrix for tiny fossils is great fun (and can be done from the comfort of your own home). Also a great option when the Peace River is unseasonably running 10 feet deeper than it should. :wacko:

Welcome to the forum--you'll find lots of great information and like-minded enthusiasts here.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

Agree on the Diodon (pufferfish) tooth plate--these are relatively common and interesting when you get a mostly complete specimen with the overlapping plates and row of teeth along the curved edge. Do an internet image search for "diodon fossil" and you'll see lots of examples.

The first (worn) shark tooth may be from a Lemon Shark. The second shark tooth is likely from a species of sharpnose shark (Rhizoprionodon sp.). Most of these sharks are small (less than a meter) and so they are common tiny teeth to find when searching micro-matrix. An internet image search for "Rhizoprionodon fossil" will show many examples matching yours. Tricky to find information about an unknown fossil on the internet but easy to find lots of photos once you have a name to search.

Sorting through micro-matrix for tiny fossils is great fun (and can be done from the comfort of your own home). Also a great option when the Peace River is unseasonably running 10 feet deeper than it should. :wacko:

Welcome to the forum--you'll find lots of great information and like-minded enthusiasts here.

Cheers.

-Ken

Thanks for all the information. It was extremely helpful. I was guessing Lemon shark on the first tooth, as well. I think I might be getting hooked on micros now... so interesting all the tiny fossils hidden in the matrix!