Found what I thought were dinosaur teeth!

Wiyahlee

Hi Everyone! :)

I'm Wiyah and I love everything about gold panning/rock hounding/fossil hunting! This is my first year really getting out there. Anyhow, today I went out to a new area and found what I thought were dinosaur teeth but after looking around found that there were no dinosaurs in Ohio. A friend said maybe some kind of coral? Either way they are SO neat and I am so glad I found them! If anyone has any idea what these might be I would be grateful :) Also if you happen to know if they have any value or not I am curious! Thanks and I am excited to be a new member of this group!

Wiyah

More than likely you were finding the solitary rugose corals (AKA horn corals) Grewingkia canadensis. They are ubiquitous in the Upper Ordovician rocks of that region.

I grew up in Huber Heights and East Dayton and those things were always being misidentified as teeth or horns or something else.

They are very common with no economic value. But as fossils I have never gotten tired of finding them...

Ah yes I live just 15 minutes or so from Huber Heights! Thanks for the response, I too immediately thought they were dinosaur teeth and was freaking out a bit. Even knowing now for sure they are coral it was an awesome find and they look really cool! I too agree they were super fun to find and I am going to go back next week and try to find some more :) Thanks again!

Archived