A few White River critters

jpc

Here are a few White River specimens I have been working on this winter. The first is an oreodont skeleton. I posted pix of this guy many moons ago as a group of blocks of rock with bones. Here is that photo.

post-1450-0-12170300-1454991521_thumb.jpg

And here it is a few months later...

post-1450-0-86483500-1454991347_thumb.jpg

I did this one for a friend. He owns a ranch with White River outcrops and lets me collect there. It is a good set up. He collected this one and had me prep it for him.

These next pix are of a little rodent skull I found on his place.

post-1450-0-06628600-1454991668_thumb.jpg

and a kind of head on view. It is missing the front left incisors and I used a little putty to keep the bottom right one in place.

post-1450-0-91765500-1454991741_thumb.jpg

And here it is among a few other 35 million year old mammals.

post-1450-0-20240300-1454991795_thumb.jpg

Working on another one that I will show you guys later this week...if all goes well.

• I found this Informative 3

jpc.... Very nice work and great collection.... Thanks for sharing them....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Those look great. Did you prep each Oreodont fragment separately and then assemble; or glue all the matrix fragments and prep as a whole? I was once advised on a broken piece to prep each fragment and then glue together. I can't understand the logic of that. It would seem the fragments would fit less well after being handled for individual prep and the "flow" from fragment to fragment would not be as precise.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Thanks guys. Yes, you could say I am lucky, but then you could also say that I moved to Wyoming for the fossils.

snolly...a combination of both. Smaller pieces are easier to work on, but you also have to keep them related to each other so you don't overprep and make it so things don't fit together any more. This was certainly an issue with the skull piece on this guy. At the same time, if I had glued them all together early on, it would have been too big to work effectively. The answer to your question is a bit of both.

Awesome stuff, JP. For added fun, my kid and I like to knock out the lights, then shine a UV flashlight on the White River stuff. The teeth light up crazy, esp the rhino teeth....takes me back to 1977, in the back of Spencer's Gifts...

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

You do some dang nice work JP. Putting that back together like that is really impressive. and by the way, did you ever get that one in your basement done? Cant remember if it was one specimen or two? I remember wanting it.

RB

You do some dang nice work JP. Putting that back together like that is really impressive. and by the way, did you ever get that one in your basement done? Cant remember if it was one specimen or two? I remember wanting it.

RB

Thanks, RB. No, it still sits there under a couple of old t shirts.... yes, it was a pair of oreo skeletons. Dan... I like to shine my black light on the whole fossil display....

That's some really impressive prep work!

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Excellent finds and prep, JP!

Congratulations.

Those mammals are so interesting.

Thanks for posting this.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks for the compliments,folks.

Here is another one I recently finished... a rodent partial skeleton.

post-1450-0-31912800-1455852186_thumb.jpg post-1450-0-53082600-1455852413_thumb.jpg

The colored lines point to:

red - lower jaws (incisors on fornt end missing)

orange - skull; looking up onto chewing surface of left tooth row

black - see below

yellow - shoulder blade

pale green - ribs

green - vertebrae

purple - femur

pink - toe bone

dark blue - proximal ulna

bright blue - distal humerus (these two are the elbow joint)

light blue - impression of the rest of the humerus

And here is a better view of the skull and lower jaws. The snout was missing when I found it.

post-1450-0-94473300-1455852695_thumb.jpg

And I was really excited to find this last piece, on the right edge of the block between the rodent's skull and the long bone. (black line in above photo). This is the snout of a second animal... I am calling it the marsupial Peratherium (same as the skull in my avatar). I imagine this might be the remains of a small carnivore den.

post-1450-0-53759600-1455852754_thumb.jpg

Here is the back side of the block..you can see the Peratherium snout and the top view of the rodent skull, with its very wide zygomatic arch.

post-1450-0-16895000-1455852920_thumb.jpg

These are small animals.. the rodent is mouse sized.

Edited by jpc
  • I found this Informative 2

Fantastic specimens! What an interesting environment to work in. A combination of art and science, thanks for posting!

• 1 year later...

awesome finds! Good work!

:trilo:  RiseOfTheExtinct  :ammonite01:

"There's no shame in being weird. I'm have the obsession of mollusks. You're the one who always forgets your coffee. We're all weird in our own ways.

Don't forget that, weirdo whose even weirder than me..."

5 minutes later... Said by someone else...

"Hey, weirdo, you forgot your coffee on your desk..."