Velociraptor vs Protoceratops (Fighting Dinosaurs) Video

Raptor Lover

Exactly. This is not a situation like freezing Han Solo in 'carbonite'. :D Things don't happen in the wild, in real life, like that.

Animals caught in life threatening scenarios typically abandon the idea of hunting and scramble to safety. Any number of "non-hunter killing" scenarios could juxtapose two animals together. The raptor could have been in the area hunting when the "event" caught several animals off guard. Again, typical animal behavior is to save themselves and eat another time. Struggling for a foothold while falling down a sandy dune or rigor mortis, among other things seems a more likely scenario.

Well yeah hypothetically it could be but whats the chances of a Velociraptor and a Protoceratops just going about their business one day when a cataclysmic event strikes them resulting in them meeting their doom locked together in a the precise posture you would expect them to be if they were locked in a fight to the death (raptor with its claws to the herbivore's throat and the Proto with its beak locked tightly round the predator's arm which would have been the one method of defence it was built for)

Its also proposed above they could have come to blows with the raptor stumbling in to a Ceratopsian nesting sight or something. If theres one thing everyone is agreed on about Velociraptor though it was extremely fast and agile (the clue's in the name) and I can't imagine it being ambushed by a stubby legged 'sheep of the Gobi' if it wanted to run its not going to struggle to make a getaway. Besides it was a subadult Protoceratops so unlikely to be protecting its young.

Sorry but in any court of law that Velociraptor would be convicted of attempting to murder that Protoceratops, any other scenario seems beyond the realms of reasonable doubt. If there is an issue of contention its about what exactly caused them to expire at that precise point in time? Flash sand blizzard, collapsing dune or just death through combat wounds? Perhaps they never even knew for themselves what hit them!

...or just two animals that tumbled down the same slope running for cover in a blinding sandstorm and were struggling for their lives to get up...or something else. All we really know is how they ended up, and reading more into that than considering other natural possibilities seems like painting what we want to see.

"I don't know" is sometimes my best answer.

:)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

At the risk of appearing soulless and unimaginative, I am loathe to erect a narrative of exactly what events resulted in the specimen as presented. There are many possibilities which would be equally valid speculation, so speculation it is. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Well yeah hypothetically it could be but whats the chances of a Velociraptor and a Protoceratops just going about their business one day when a cataclysmic event strikes them resulting in them meeting their doom locked together in a the precise posture you would expect them to be if they were locked in a fight to the death (raptor with its claws to the herbivore's throat and the Proto with its beak locked tightly round the predator's arm which would have been the one method of defence it was built for)

Its also proposed above they could have come to blows with the raptor stumbling in to a Ceratopsian nesting sight or something. If theres one thing everyone is agreed on about Velociraptor though it was extremely fast and agile (the clue's in the name) and I can't imagine it being ambushed by a stubby legged 'sheep of the Gobi' if it wanted to run its not going to struggle to make a getaway. Besides it was a subadult Protoceratops so unlikely to be protecting its young.

Sorry but in any court of law that Velociraptor would be convicted of attempting to murder that Protoceratops, any other scenario seems beyond the realms of reasonable doubt. If there is an issue of contention its about what exactly caused them to expire at that precise point in time? Flash sand blizzard, collapsing dune or just death through combat wounds? Perhaps they never even knew for themselves what hit them!

Since we will never know for sure, all we can do is speculate. But yes, your description is very plausible and very likely. If Velociraptor wanted to get away from the proto, it would have been gone. But it didn't run and died locked in combat with the proto. They didn't just happen to end up there together. Even if the raptor's killing claw wasn't naturally in the prtoto's throat, it is still very very likely that it was going for the throat due to it's arm being trapped and bitten by the proto's beak; they were for a fact fighting

"Or speak to the earth, and let it teach you" Job 12:8

No no no, it went this way a meteor entered the atmosphere just at that moment, exploded sending meteorites hurdling towards their skulls killing them instantly. :)

No no no, it went this way a meteor entered the atmosphere just at that moment, exploded sending meteorites hurdling towards their skulls killing them instantly. :)

No, no, no,...no.

Someone forgot to switch all the phasers to 'Stun'. :o

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

This is a very interesting discussion.

I think the bigger mystery in my opinion is where are all the herbivores from the Kem Kem Beds? We see tons and tons and tons of Carch, spino, and theropod teeth coming from here but hardly see herbivores. The only herbivore known from the formation is Rebbachisaurus. With all teeth and bones that can be found there, you would expect herbivores to be found EVENTUALLY. Anyone have any opinions on the matter?

There is a site in Utah that has a similar problem - the Cleveland-Lloyd Dinosaur Quarry. An estimated 75% of the fossils are all carnivores - of the 74 individual dinosaurs found at the site, 46 are Allosaurus fragilis skeletons.

Stephen

For such a big Buteo, Rough-legs have tiny little feet (just right for taking voles). Taking a rabbit through sheer impact energy is quite an adaptation, and it is quite surprising that they risked injury for 'sport'. My experience has been that only a raptor on the verge of starvation would take such a chance.

I watched a documentary on owls a while ago. The amount of force they produce during a strike is usually enough to kill it's prey straight away. For such a light bird, they have an extremely powerful strike. I'll try find some figures.

I agree about raptor claws being used for puncturing vitals. It would have been retractable and held up so it wouldn't blunt when running, much like cat's claws. I assume the underside wasn't sharp or blade like? If it was, that'd indicate it was used for slashing.

This is a very interesting discussion.

There is a site in Utah that has a similar problem - the Cleveland-Lloyd Dinosaur Quarry. An estimated 75% of the fossils are all carnivores - of the 74 individual dinosaurs found at the site, 46 are Allosaurus fragilis skeletons.

Hm that's interesting. I wonder why that is?

Hm that's interesting. I wonder why that is?

I think that was the infamous 'predator trap', I read about that recently.

While we're doing stories on Dinosaur death scenarios this was a pretty memorable one.

So here's the theory : A stegosaurus and maybe another herbivore or 2, gets bogged down in sludge whilst crossing a river, where it is silted up presumably. It struggles to free itself making all kind of a hullabaloo but its trapped! So this being a popular watering hole a curious Allosaurus soon passes by and can't believe its luck; a nice choice juicy delicacy all wrapped up ready for dinner so it wades in to feast on its banquet : thats where it goes wrong though. The Allosaurus finds itself stuck in the very same mire as its intended meal and ends up in the same predicament. Naturally other Allosaurus and therapod predators (Ceratosaurus, Marshosaurs, Stokeseosaurus) come by and they all fall in to the same trap and a feeding frenzy turns in to a mass holocaust as more and more dinos get snared in the pitiless quicksand and sucked in to their doom!

That Stegosaurus must at least have died laughing!

I don't know how much of this is true , at least in terms of it all being one event at least but its an interesting theory, though not one that does a lot to enhance dinosaurs intellectual reputation ^_^

I think that was the infamous 'predator trap', I read about that recently.

While we're doing stories on Dinosaur death scenarios this was a pretty memorable one.

So here's the theory : A stegosaurus and maybe another herbivore or 2, gets bogged down in sludge whilst crossing a river, where it is silted up presumably. It struggles to free itself making all kind of a hullabaloo but its trapped! So this being a popular watering hole a curious Allosaurus soon passes by and can't believe its luck; a nice choice juicy delicacy all wrapped up ready for dinner so it wades in to feast on its banquet : thats where it goes wrong though. The Allosaurus finds itself stuck in the very same mire as its intended meal and ends up in the same predicament. Naturally other Allosaurus and therapod predators (Ceratosaurus, Marshosaurs, Stokeseosaurus) come by and they all fall in to the same trap and a feeding frenzy turns in to a mass holocaust as more and more dinos get snared in the pitiless quicksand and sucked in to their doom!

That Stegosaurus must at least have died laughing!

I don't know how much of this is true , at least in terms of it all being one event at least but its an interesting theory, though not one that does a lot to enhance dinosaurs intellectual reputation ^_^

Huh that's an interesting idea! And I could see how that could also work in Morocco as well. The same thing happened at La Brea Tar Pits. I guess history really does repeat itself haha.

Archived